Author Topic: Blueberry in shade?  (Read 808 times)

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
Blueberry in shade?
« on: June 14, 2007, 15:41:28 »
I want to shift my pots around my terrace, as I am re-designing the area, but I've really run out of space as far as the sunny areas of the terrace are concerned. I need some plants to fill in the shady bits, i.e lots of light all day, but just in the shaded part of the terrace so there isn't more than an hour of direct sunlight. I was thinking maybe the hydrangaes might fare well there.... but what about the blueberry plant? Does it need a lot of direct sun during the day or will it thrive in a shadier part of the terrace? Anyone know?

vegwomble

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: Blueberry in shade?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 19:38:30 »
RHS says:  "Choose a sheltered site in full sun or part shade".

Si

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 04:56:26 »
I know that the relative of the blueberry, the bilberry, grows under tree canopies in north Wales so I guess that it will be OK.

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:34:50 »
Mine are in part shade and doing great! In fact since moving a few months ago, they are not so shaded either, but seem to be taking that ok as well.

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:57:38 »
Thanks. Actually, it's still out in the sunny spot right now but we've been having a lot of rain. I just thought about it not getting enough rainwater if it is pushed to the shady side.... since London water is so 'hard', I usually prefer to let it soak up rainwater instead of getting water from my watering can.

It's doing fairly well where it is though, despite having half a pot full of non-ericaceous compost... the berries are slowly darkening, and I think I have enough to fill a punnet when they all ripen! :D

vegwomble

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal