Author Topic: Sexing chicks!  (Read 2728 times)

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
Sexing chicks!
« on: June 28, 2007, 15:24:31 »
Has anyone out there discovered a reliable way of sexing chicks? I have some little silkies that are 6 weeks old. One already looks and behave like a male, is larger and more dominant, but most of them just look the same at the moment!

Judi

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Sexing chicks!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 17:18:24 »
have you got any photos???

The boys will be bigger - i would say noisier but in silkies both sexes are noisy.

the combs will be wider and bigger in the boys than the girls...

Hope that helps!

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 17:51:27 »
Thank you Olive Oil.

Photos probably wouldn't help as they are so alike although there are a couple of larger ones, one I'm almost sure is a male...he has "attitude!, gets the food first and is much braver than the others! His wattle is also a different shape. If I have to wait for the males to crow, what age do they start? I've only ever had "girls" so this is new to me!

I also have week old peachicks and can already see differences in them and was able to sex last years young long before the books say you can! Pity I'm not so good on the chicken chicks!

Judi

shellby21uk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 17:58:24 »
I used to sex chicks as a child by looking at the combs (top of beak). If they were flat the were hens, if they were ridged or raised they were cockerals. I would say I was correct 99% of the time, although can depend on the breed.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 21:00:55 »
Photos probably wouldn't help as they are so alike although there are a couple of larger ones, one I'm almost sure is a male...he has "attitude!, gets the food first and is much braver than the others! His wattle is also a different shape. If I have to wait for the males to crow, what age do they start? I've only ever had "girls" so this is new to me!

A few years ago we got 6 banties & one was just as you described - we called him Jimmy & he crowed louldy, one day he was acting strangely near the nest box & I watched him go in & lay an egg!  I don't know who was more surprised jimmy or me.  :)  He went on to lay quite well but often went broody, the last time his broodieness went on & on & he died.  :'(  never were able to call him 'her'.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:08:01 »
Sounds like you have def id'd one boy there... but dont be fooled. Silkies are notoriously hard to sex... also the feathering will be more matured in a boy.

Lastly - they take ages to crow unlike normal chooks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal