Author Topic: As JW might say, this is truly AWESOME!!  (Read 7074 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: As JW might say, this is truly AWESOME!!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 12:34:16 »
So what would you recommend Tim? I haven't a clue where or how I would get all my knives sharpened. :-[ :-[

Many moons ago we used to get a 'knifeman' coming around our street in South London offering to sharpen any knives or scissors...........I'm guessing he's long gone! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 12:53:16 »
May as well add some comments, now I have seen this thread ...

As a tool, security of grip is possibly the most important feature to me. Sharpness comes and goes, but the grip is a feature of the design, and will vary with different hands. I have not used a metal handled knife, but I have used metal handled tools extensively, and concur with Tim's comments.

Most serrated edges are cut on one side only, suited to a right handed grip. Since I am left handed, I find these useless.

My favourite knife currently is a large cooks knife, with a broad rolled stainless blade. The blade is broad enough that I can scoop chopped ingredients into the pan with minimum fuss.

I still prefer a wooden chopping board where possible, to maintain a sharp edge.

The impossible is just a journey away ...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 15:38:22 »
I'd agree with all of that Derek. I prefer a wooden chopping board, a large cook's knife that doubles as a "scoop" and I tend not to use serrated ones except for things like tomatoes where they seem to do a better job and my bread knife is serrated too. Where I have a problem is in the best way to ensure maximal sharpness of said knives and also I am curious as to which brand of knives people find best.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 16:31:19 »
As you can see - a bit of a fetish?

But over the years, one is tempted to try something new. Some of these are over 50 years old.

Comparison? I doubt that the majority have such a variety that they could draw a comparison. Mostly, I imagine, what you have is what you like. I cannot say which of the many makes here is the best.

First comes how it feels. Second, is it right for the job in hand - ie carving, paring, slicing, chopping, filleting, boning - & third, does it hold its edge. Anything can be sharpened. For carving, I like a very flexible blade - like that of a filleting knife - so that I can feel the depth of the cut, & go with the shape of the joint.

All my knives need regular honing to keep them in order. Little & often, or they get to the stage when they need a re-grind on a stone.

Wholly agree that the centrepiece is a substantial cook's knife. And my cheapo one is doing me proud for £2! Beyond that, much is dictated by mood.

Having waffled on so far, I have to retract to some extent. If I were setting up again, I would probably go for Granton for my key knives. I gave No2 Daughter a set when she married. They have a very clever design. The scallops alternate on each side of the blade so that the cutting edge can be incredibly thin, but strengthened by the shoulder of the scallop. And they feel great & come in good sizes. This one is 15".

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 17:07:06 »
That's a really impressive collection Tim! As to the 15" Granton it reminds me of the French TV reporters comments when Sarko won the presidential election: "C'est immense!" :P

I notice too that you have magnetic rails for your knives. Mine are in a wooden block and I sometimes wonder if that contributes to bluntness.

I'll need to get out my grinding stone and bring them back to pitch.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 17:16:59 »
On the use of any blade, perhaps a light anecdote ...

In an earlier life, when I was young and fit, I was heavily into japanese martial arts, and was impressed by the power that could be presented by correct posture and 'attitude' ...

One evening, the aikido instructor brought in a genuine samurai sword, properly sharp (modern practice weapons have no edges) and tutored us in the simple technique of cutting a sheet of newspaper, held apart by two assistants, into two pieces.

Easy? One would think so, with a razor sharp weapon, but the newspaper consistently just folded under the pressure of the blade. Only when the technique was correct, could the paper be cut. A humbling exercise, but also applicable to cutting vegetables, as the fundament is the same ... the knife should stroke the vegetable (or meat), I always use a forward action, gentle, letting the knife do the work, resting the forward edge on the work surface, so I am not even carrying the weight of the knife. There are other techniques of course, but this is my favourite, it becomes joy just to cut up tomatoes, garlic, onions, lettuce, meat etc

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 17:30:01 »
Cor! That were pure poetry Derek! You've just turned kitchen skivvying into an art form. I'm well impressed. 8)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 17:46:37 »
But SO true, Derek - I'm constantly saying DON'T push down & bang hell out of the board - SLICE!!

Anne - if you're really going to stone them, DO try for the correct & CONSTANT angle. Over the whole length for kitchen knives, but only the front 2" on a table knife.

And one tip at least in that link is worth hearing - stone until you get a burr. Then wipe off the burr on the other side.

PS So sad when it's skivvying - I'm so lucky in that I can enjoy every moment of it.

And Derek -  No 6 Grandchild is 2 places away from Black Belt in Taiquando. At 11.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 18:02:58 by tim »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 18:42:31 »
Ah so difficult to achieve a constant angle ... but necessary to give that flat edge.

However ... I prefer a convex grind for paring knives, eg for peeling, as the form then tends to push the cutting edge away from the fruit or veg, preventing digging in which sometimes occurs, so it is the pressure of the grip which maintains the cutting action. I peel carrots differently however, using a cook's knife, top and tail, then slice around the carrot lengthways, I just find it quicker, and the carrot is straight ...

PS when cutting on wood, I always align the blade with the grain. Sadly I dont possess a block of end grain.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 18:52:55 by Curry »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 19:22:14 »
Tim I've never thought of it as skivvying. Anyway for the last 11 years since he retired Peter has done it all, except sometimes when I was allowed to help. I was thinking more of common perceptions than my feelings. Also I love teasing Derek though he rarely rises to the challenge d**n him!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 20:38:12 »
Derek - you don't actually use a KNIFE for paring?

There's only one tool for the job??

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 20:47:06 »
Again, I cannot get on with those tools, but I am happy with a small convex ground knife ... (carrots excepted). When young, I used to peel the spuds and carrots etc for tea, so perhaps certain approaches are ingrained ...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 20:55:02 »
Got him out of retirement at least!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 20:58:25 »
 :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 20:59:26 »
You done good Tim the guy was becoming a recluse!!!! Weren't you Derek!!!!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 21:01:56 »
And he does carrot & courgette strip salad with a KNIFE??

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 23:19:43 »
Derek, is it a left handed thing with these paring tools? I cannot use some serrated knives and try as I might I can't get the hang of those wobbly peelers.
We bought a knife (serrated) at the Ideal Home Exhibition 35 years ago, it was advertised as never needing sharpening and was true to the blurb. We ditched it last year as the handle broke.
Smile, it confuses people.

Rohaise

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 07:14:51 »
Knives terrify me !  I only have two..and they are in a drawer  under the counter and sink where I take them out , use them, wash them up and put the dangerous things away again without moving from the spot !  Rohaise 

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 07:44:11 »
i love my knife (a sabatier) which my mum bought me but i am really rubbish at sharpening it. i usually get father in law to do it. i am miserable when its is not sharp.  a blunt knife is a dangerous beast.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal