Author Topic: Feeding celeriac  (Read 3495 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Feeding celeriac
« on: June 17, 2007, 00:33:51 »
I have very strong growing celeriac plants which are already the size of small oranges. They are sitting on 6 inches of well-rotted manure in a raised bed and are the best specimens I've ever grown. Do they need any further feeding? Chicken pellets perhaps?

Tricia

Si

• Half Acre
Re: Feeding celeriac
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 04:53:28 »
No, I think they'll just do it all themselves, but will let you know if they're short of anything. Well done for such fantastic plants!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 22:01:17 »
Thanks Si. I really am proud of my celeriac this year, though leaf miner has started to make its appearance again - I'm just picking off the affected leaves as fast as they appear.

Tricia

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 13:15:02 »
Hi Tricia, how would I know if I had leaf miner on my celeriac please? First time of growing it!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 16:19:44 »
That`s fantastic!!-and pulling off a few leaves is no bad thing.

I wouldn`t bother to feed them-might be tempted to eat a couple though

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 23:09:56 »
Hi Gwynleg, Brown patches appear on some leaves which spread into quite large papery, then mashy areas if not picked off. If you look closely at such a patch you will find small  larvae inside the leaf. Here is a picture of what the leaves look like.

Tricia

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 23:29:37 »
Ours are in the ground and growing with all this rain but nowhere near that well on..
 :-[

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 20:51:13 »
Pics taken a couple of days ago of my celeriac. They seem to like this wet weather!!

Tricia
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 20:52:55 by tricia »

Si

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 22:07:43 »
Those pics are inspirational  8)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 22:17:17 »
Thanks Si - I feel quite proud of them myself  ;D.

Tricia

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 00:12:03 »
Hi Tricia,

Well done you! What variety are you growing? We never seem to do well with celeriac.

Mothy

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 13:57:56 »
They are the remains of a packet of Monarch from last year, sown on 9 January, potted on 19/20 February in modules (54 seedlings). The slugs got a few but I planted 25 of the largest plants in my plot on 18 April under fleece. The remaining celeriac seedlings were kept in the GH for a couple of weeks longer then planted out in my friend's veggie plot. His soil wasn't so well prepared as mine so his plants are a bit slower, although last year his plants did better than mine - weird!

The idea of planting them on 6 inches of well-rotted manure came from a visit to Ford Abbey. It was in September and the celeriac there were incredible - rows of bit fat celeriac each one identical to the next. I asked the gardener how he got such beautiful specimens and he told me they were planted on 8 inches of manure. I spread about 4 inches of manure in November, then in March another three or four inches were forked in and the celeriac was planted in that a month later. They took off very quickly under the fleece and most of them are now large orange/grapefruit size. I shall soon be pulling one to make a celeriac salad with apples and walnuts...yum!

Tricia

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 14:14:07 »
Those look great Tricia  :)! I am growing Monarch too, but sown 19th March so mine have got some catching up to do! I love celeriac; together with French beans it's my favourite veg flavour-wise.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal