Author Topic: A bit to much water.  (Read 3260 times)

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
Re: A bit to much water.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 17:21:24 »
Thinking about about raised beds but then considering the cost in wood and soil to fill them not to mention labour. 

I suppose I would also need to raise up the level of the paths between otherwise they would still be at the flood level.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 17:43:22 »
we've raised our beds as the plot flooded, freebie pallets and we had to get lots of muck delivered
somewhere on here, someone says about the pallets, maybe search  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 17:48:02 »
We have raised beds very similar to the picture, the paths do still flood but the beds stay OK. The problem we have is on the parts that are still on the flat
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 17:53:38 »
Thinking about about raised beds but then considering the cost in wood and soil to fill them not to mention labour. 

I suppose I would also need to raise up the level of the paths between otherwise they would still be at the flood level.

I wouldn't worry about the paths flooding. In fact  the paths  act as a temporary ditch when  the soil on my plot gets saturated, and all the water from the raised beds drains into it. At the moment 1/3 of my plot has raised beds, but I'm planning to build more as I've seen the benefits now! I use wood found in skips (roofing timbers, old scaffolding boards etc. )

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal