Author Topic: A bit to much water.  (Read 3262 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
A bit to much water.
« on: June 16, 2007, 17:15:59 »
Here in Hull we have a little rain in the last few days, I have just been up to my plot to find 2/3 of it under 6 inches of water. Am I going to lose everything that is under water or will it all depend upon how long it takes to drain away?

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/Gazzaki/?action=view&current=overwatered.jpg

Gary

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 17:26:23 by gary »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: A bit to much water.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 17:35:17 »
Hi Gary, yours looks a bit like mine. I guess we just have  to wait it out . Good Luck XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 18:09:24 »
Hi Gal looks grim mate but you might be OK, try and bucket some out if possible if not try hiring a pump that way you could fill up some large bins or butts, give it another three or four weeks we'll be begging for a drop of water good luck both of you as Jeannine says you'll just have to wait it out.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 18:22:46 »
We had the same issue 3 weeks back. 6 inches of water.

Everything seems to have recovered. but allas it didn't kill of the weeds.

Ours drained away within 48 hours.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 18:27:34 »
I've filled my water butt and a couple of plastic dustbins thats the yellow bucket was for. I have been lucky the plot I have my back to in the photo, they cannot get on it as it is to deep for wellies.
Looks like high raised beds next year down that side of the plot.

Hope mine drains away in 48 hours Simba.

Gary

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 18:29:00 »
And here am I moaning we have had no rain in East Sussex, my sympathies go out to all of you whose plots look like that! :o
Will be a bit of wait n see for you all I am sure, but hopefully you may be pleasantly surprised, some veggies are quite resilient. :-\
You never know, it may wash away all the slugs, or they may have drowned.........some hope huh! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 18:45:24 »
Gary , I could only get down one side of mine yesterday,and I was more than ankle deep at that,but as you know mine at the side that got it worst is all raised beds apart from a large bit that had spuds and brassicas in,it was wading on the paths that was hard,I couldn't get on the open ground as it was sevaral inches deeper.Let me know if you lose much, I have a fair bit in the greenhouse at home. Oh heck, just realised that my newly planted Giganteus beans will be completely sumerged,as will my 2 Jack be Littles.

Your Mums white carrotts are safe high and dry though.

Hang in there Gary, we will be OK,I just feel it,we will soon be moaning about too much heat.

XX Take care

Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 19:40:13 »
My plot was badly flooded yesterday; it was the first time in years that the main shed floor has been awash. It's all drained away now though. Some plots on the site are still underwater.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 19:48:11 »
Got onto my plot properly today, judging by the 'high tide' marks, my plot was under 3 FEET of water on Friday ... :(

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 21:42:15 »
Am I going to lose everything that is under water or will it all depend upon how long it takes to drain away?

In my opinion; not so much 'how long' but how!

I would say if the water flows off then you might have problems but if it is free draining and it soaks away, everything should be be more or less as you planted/sowed it.

Its at times like these that I am glad I am perched high up here in the Pennines the water just flows down to them at the bottom of the hill, but then again in winter I face different problems.................but thats just 'gardening'

So my fingers are crossed for you!!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 22:02:40 »
I'm so gald we live on a hill, and our allotment is on the hill too.  I really feel for you guys with the soaked plots.  We are so lucky, we just watch the water flowing past, bit like a river really, but it all has to go somewhere, and that's into someone's house, garden or allotment.  :( :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 22:32:31 »
God I feel for you Gary, my plot is on a slope so I never have that problem.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 11:36:56 »
How's it looking today, Gary? Hope the drier vweekend has helped.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 19:17:35 »
Went to my half plot for the 1st time in a week having been away working.  Guess what - flooded.  Most plots seem to be OK apart from myself and my neighbour.  Luckily, I haven't actually  planted that much yet but my onions, shallots, carrots, lettuce, radish, beetroot and lettuce are now under water.

I hope it all recovers as I spent some precious time digging the two beds I have got so far.

And to think, I said to my neighbour that I would water his plot whilst he has been away this week !

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 20:35:03 »
My water has  almost gone down and uncovered most things,it was sunny when we went to day but  very muddy, you couldn't walk on it without sinking in. However the beans that were under water were fine,the caulis were dirty as were the brocs but they were OK, even the couple of little pumpkins were OK.

Potatoes were up standing up as if nothing had happened, so on the whole I was pleasantly surprised.

I think you will be fine, good luck

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 08:08:52 »
Hopefully you'll be OK as long as the water drained straight off. When I first had mu plot, it used to pool in the middle, and take about three days to drain off. Every flood was a disaster. Nowadays it flows straight off and the effects are far less. It was under about a foot of water on Friday though, and it's too early to tell. Some things die, some just stop growing, permanently. Others carry straight on.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:26:20 »
I got up there yesterday and it is starting to drain off, so who knows?

Gary

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 09:34:17 »
My plot too was flooded a few weeks ago. Most veg are fine, but I have lost one tomato plant and at least one potato plant (rotted from the roots). A Crown Prince squash which was almost completely submerged is still struggling, but I hope it will recover.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 16:37:32 »
I honestly can't see how mine will recover unless it stops raining, the sun comes out and it all evaporates within a couple of days.  With more rain forecast this week and next, my produce will have been under water for almost 3 weeks.

Sorry to sound depressed but I think all my hard work thus far is going to be wasted.  Can't see the point of continuing with the plot if this happens everytime there is a spell of long rain.  Don't suppose it is worth asking my council if they will do something i.e. deliver a few tons of top soil to raise mine and my neighbours plots - all the other plots seem to be fairly OK.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 17:02:15 »
We have an area towards the northern end of our lottie that floods easily.  There's a small underground stream that flows into the local river that goes right across the plots.  One poor chap has his entire allotment on the line of this stream.

The only thing to do is build raised beds, and plant things that play to the strengths.  Potatoes are unlikely to be a big success in the circumstances, whilst things like globe artichokes and courgettes seem to romp away.  We're trying celery for the first time this year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal