Author Topic: Possible winter seed swap parcel via Jeannine??  (Read 3130 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Possible winter seed swap parcel via Jeannine??
« on: May 27, 2007, 12:12:07 »
Is anyone interested in a pass the parcel with veggies that are suitable for late harvest.  There is still time to sow quite a few and I thought we might put a little lightweight book of helpful tips or suggestions in with it too. I have a pretty good stash I could start it off with. I hope it isn't too late,maybe someone could advise me about this.

I would add though, Please DON'T sign up unless you can guarantee a 24 hour turnaround as it would be too late for the folks at the end of the list if it took longer.

I am not very confident about this type of growing but am doing it this year .

Any ideas/suggestions very welcome. It is just an idea at this point.

Number of players would have to be small but I don't mind sending out 2 if there is the interest.

PM ASAP if interested and I will decide as soon as I can if it is a go.

If on holiday I will try and sort the list to accomodate that so please give dates you will be away (in your PM)

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Possible winter seed swap parcel via Jeannine??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 12:37:42 »
I grew the autumn crops last year for the first time, Jeannine, and was quite chuffed with the results. It was lovely to have new veg coming along when the other stuff was finishing, and extending the crop of french beans meant less in the freezer.  The seeds came from Marshalls.

I must say it was odd, when all the beds were full and we were busy harvesting veg, I was putting seeds in!

Looking at the packets from last year, I've got just enough for sowing this year, so won't participate in this swap, I think.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 14:50:08 »
Would love to join in but better say no on 3 counts, live in Spain, live away from home 2 nights, unreliable post!! count me in on the next one though! sounds great J!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 14:55:26 »
You are already on the list, last before it comes home to me so it won't hold anyone up.  Sometimes I wonder about you..dopeXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 15:04:16 »
hehehe!! brill  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 15:05:37 »
Do you have Winter in SpainXX

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 18:20:03 »
I've got seed so count me in... didnt get round to doing it last year... so looking forward to it!

Emma

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 19:30:44 »
Hello. I'd like to particpate please - sounds interesting. Thanks

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 23:06:08 »
Pm your address so I have it in my file

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 00:22:00 »
Jeannine I would love to take part.
Could you give me some idea how this pass the parcel works, please?
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 12:11:49 »
Just doing a seed check and yes I do have a lot of seeds but on closer inspection I have a lot of repeats too, so it seems  I am not the person to do this without going and buying a lot of stuff, so I am not going ahead with this one sadly as the parcel would be full of cauliflowers and cabbages and very little else. After I have sown what I need there would be little left in the packages I have just one of.

However,I still think it is a good idea,does anyone have a better selection than me and could perhaps take over,I would love to join in as I am not as well heeled as I thought

XX Jeannine

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 22:02:34 »
You could also put in onion seeds and Broad Bean (Witkiem or other suitable) and Pea, maincrop carrots, Turnip, winter spinach and calabrese and possibly Leeks seeds. 

I planted BB Witkiem in Autumn and harvested 1kg this month.  Crop now cleared and I have dwarf french beans in. 

Not sure what else could be planted...

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:20:33 »
I am quite happy to start this off - if you would like. Sort of things I grow in addition to normal long season rootcrops and sprouts etc are:
Chard - got a few varieties of these
Kales
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Mooli
Theres also a lot you sow through to July/August to get a late autumn/early winter harvest - kohl Rabi, turnip etc

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 12:22:16 »
Just popped on for a quick read... :)

I'm still waiting for one more parcel to come home (its with the last person) then I was going to offer to organise another general round. Not sure how much will be for a late harvest though, or whether more will be for planting next year.  All depends what comes back...

When the final parcel comes home I'll let you know, if that helps...

Lis
xx

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 17:23:19 »
May I please join in?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 17:35:19 »
I'm up for it too  Jeannine !! ;D

.. if there is enough time I could go see Franchi and see if I can get some reduced end of season seeds ??? ... let me know what you guys think  ;)

Flo x
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 11:28:32 »
Hi,
I'm interested, although new, so not sure what I could add!
So a general one might be better for me.
Sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Irish-Digger

• Not So New ...
    • Irish Digger
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 16:52:42 »
May I join please.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you are a mile away. And you have his shoes. !!!

Archiesmum

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 14:29:53 »
Have I arrived 2 late, or is there still time? ???

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 14:52:27 »
I am not sure we are with this, I started the post and then realised I didn't have enough winter stuff to make it worth while, someone else said they may be able to do it but  but I think perhaps they are still deciding XX Jeannine

I think it was Suzanne,Citychick and perhaps Flowerlady why tentatively said they may be able to do it. I ma going to close this post so they can reopen is themselves I think this will avoid confusion, I will send them PMs to let them know I have closed it.

POST CLOSED
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 14:59:49 by Jeannine »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal