Author Topic: disaster!  (Read 8177 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: disaster!
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2007, 08:01:25 »
There's probably going to be sewage in it (many areas have sewers which also carry floodwater, and vent into streams and rivers when the level gets too high), but ultraviolet and aerobic conditions should kill any nasties in a short time.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2007, 08:48:37 »
Just caught up with your post. What a mess. Now that would make me cry. I feel so sad for you. The one where you are stood in the water was very sad. Ah bless. Lets hope you can recover the land soon
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2007, 17:58:43 »
Asking for the council to test might be a double edged sword - they could turn round and say the land is contaminated and no longer fit for allotments.......

Good luck with the clean-up MM

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2007, 08:53:35 »
hi all................
the plots gone!
the whole area is now a lake...............we cant get too our plot but from what i can see of the plots we can get too..........i dont hold much hope!
the plots at the entrance to our site are three to four foot underwater.........and guess what!
our plot is roughly three feet lower than those......so by my poor reckoning..........mine will be under 6 foot of water!
i have pics of the plots at the entrance...cant post them yet as i have to get my lead back from a mate..but will do so asap.
bentley area of donny got the worst...as you have all no doubt seen on the news............about 4 miles from me......but it brought home the seriousness when i stood in the garden watching the chinook helicopters flying back and forth with massive loads of sandbags and big flood defence barriers.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2007, 10:13:04 »
Taht is heartbreaking, MM.Don't know what else to say, really. :'(

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2007, 10:16:39 »
I can only imagine how you feel.......how terrible. :'(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2007, 10:28:43 »
Hi Marestail, you have been in my thoughts so much, I am so sorry to hear that you have had to get this so bad too. There is nothing I can say to you, I truly do know what you are feeling. If it helps after about a week a sort of sad but realistic acceptance kicks in.  We are just thinking about next year.Take care, Jeannine.

PS, I can't remember,but if you had anything from me, it will be there for you for next year too XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2007, 13:42:46 »
Hi both of you, I was over my lottie yesterday trying to imagine what it feels like your end I don't think I can comprehend how bad it is. The only thing is lotties can be started again next season, but how long does it take to recover from your house and possesions being flooded ,hope you and anyone else on here are safe and well.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2007, 15:38:50 »
Have been on a weeks holiday so i missed all the fun but went up the plot earlier on and I have a goldfish swimming around my onions in a foot of water,

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2007, 16:28:06 »
MM, I am so sorry to read the worsening news. We're thinking of you here in our house.(not that that helps much :()
Smile, it confuses people.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2007, 22:02:52 »
its bad...................
i wasnt wrong in saying theyd be 6 foot of water over the plots..............im about 5 10......and the water...........as seen in the pics...............left a high water mark at about my shoulder level.
managed to get onto the plot today.................
what a bloody mess!
i think my 45 gallon water but.........steel...............is three alottments down............the shed greenhouse and main structures all held up............unlike some on the plots..........but the inside of the greenhouse looks bad...........theres even a plantpot in the top of a tomato plant.............5 foot above the ground!
all my potted daliahs are gone.................as are the lillies...........probebly find them further afeild.....but its the smell and the gooey sticky mud that get you...its covered everything.........................
although the rabbits were a nusance.........its still sad to see them all dead.............and by the smell...i think theres a dead fox nearby.........
got a load of pics................gonna try linking to the album to save putting them all on here!

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2007, 22:13:25 »

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2007, 22:19:37 »
That's horrible.

Hard luck.

Don't really know what else to say, other than start looking forward to next year?

Sand x

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2007, 22:25:21 »
Hello

Speechless what a mess you don't realise  the true impact of the damage  :o, i hope you can salvage your plot for next year.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2007, 23:06:38 »
ouch MM thats bad really bad!!!

If there is anything we can to to help please let us know!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2007, 10:56:40 »
Completely stunned by your photos MM........
I hadn't thought of the impact on local wildlife too, that slime over everything looks horrendous. Don't know what to say really, I hope there is something good to come out of all this ... :'(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2007, 11:26:37 »
If it's any encouragement, our site was seriously flooded down here in East Sussex in October 2000, and was back to normal by the next year. The man whose plot was most deeply flooded is now the most fertile (wonder why.....we have a nearby sewage plant, but no-one became ill). I had only just received mine and started digging, so did not really lose anything.

I was amazed, the next spring,  starting to dig again, at how dry it had become so quickly. Very best of luck with flooded plots, everyone out there.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal