Author Topic: disaster!  (Read 8185 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: disaster!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 22:55:36 »
I know how you feel; my plot was in that state three times in my first summer!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 23:01:59 »
Is there anything that we can do?

Do you need more seedlings? Seeds? a bucket to bail ??  ;D

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 09:51:49 »
many many thanks for all the kind offers of help and plants..............untill the waters subside a little its hard to tell what will be salvagble.and indeed what damage has been caused.
still flooded this morning...........but we didnt have that much rain last night......but we are also rather at the mercy of things happening upstream towards sheffield and beyond............if they have it bad...we get it later!
had to laugh yesterday thou.............we were all stood there when a lady came up who took over a plot last year.............shes not been able to get up that often.and recently had the "clean it up or get off" letter from the council.
shes got till wednesday next week to comply.....lol.............weve all told her to get the council officer down on monday to see if he can show us how to get the strimmers to work underwater!
got too luck on the bright side...............were resiliant folk up there.as are most lottie folk i think....................and its not that common to be able to powerwash your allotment once in a while...................
rather makes the nemaslug i applied two weeks ago to stop the slugs and snails look fairly inafective .................and if the rabbits have any sense....theyd be hightailing it for the hills...............or......pastures greener and drier!
off to the garden centers today to cheer ourselves up...........if the rain holds.........lol
again............many thanks for your thoughts and offers of help

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 09:55:54 »
Well if it's any consolation, perhaps the floodwaters will drown all the slimies....... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 09:57:41 »
It is good to hear you laughing. I wondered what the slugs are doing actually, seriously I doubt they can swim,and they sure can't run,they can't live underwater,so possilby they have all drowned, ha ha XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 10:11:30 »
I have only just seen this and I do feel guilty for moaning about the little puddle I have on my plot compared to yours.
I do not know if this will help but it did me, when I was filling my water butt up with a bucket, I just thought to myself, I am glad this is my allotment and not my living room.

Gary

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007, 11:10:00 »
maybe the council can help?

Your going to need somethings when the water goes like a skip to throw things away, som additional soil to try and soak up more water from the beds and maybe some wood chips for your paths.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2007, 21:31:08 »
no probs gary.and jeannine............you gotta laugh..............why worry..............theres always next time!
cam..............thats a d**n fine idea......ill be onto them and see if we can get some help......especily for the older less able members on the site!
dant wait till they decide to send us this years bills...............due april..no sign of em yet!..................what will they be charging us for water rates i wonder....lol...........

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2007, 21:57:24 »
I'm so sorry to hear of your lottie flood. :'(

I have only a small garden, but it flooded with "waste water" 2 nights ago. Luckily my veg bed is raised and stayed 2" above the water. I waded out with leaky wellies to lift my pots to "safe ground" above the sewage water :-X

I hope that you get your lottie back from the deep soon. If not, I can offer you some watercress seeds! ;D

Best wishes. :-*

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2007, 23:52:08 »
It is good to hear you laughing. I wondered what the slugs are doing actually, seriously I doubt they can swim,and they sure can't run,they can't live underwater,so possilby they have all drowned, ha ha XX Jeannine

..that's what I thought - but it's a drastic way to get rid of slugs!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 21:21:23 »
Just seeing how your doing MM, still can't believe them floods.  :( :'( ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 17:48:08 »
oh......................you know how it is kev.......................just managing to keep my head above water..........lol..................just going up there now............havent been able to get up before with work stuff!
will report back in an hour!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 23:34:25 »
 :) since you havn't reported back yet MM....I take it no news is good news eh! ;)
Life is to short !!!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:05 »
MM! What a disaster.  :'( :'( :'(
Hope your clean up going ok. Thinking of you swimming round your plot.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 17:04:55 »
Would you believe I've been to my plot and watered today, the toms, spring onions,sweetcorn, lettuce and beetroot were looking very dry, even used the last of my water in the water butt in the garden last night. You might have to pipe some water over to me MM.  ;D ;D ;D

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 21:41:39 »
lol.............ok kev....................ill save you some!
flooding has now subsided................and although everything is covered in a layer of silt.............not actualy to much damage done!
strawberrys gone...............and the wife is refusing to eat any produce  that has been in contact with the river................cant blame her realy but it looks ok?
this weekend will see me on a major clean up....the weeds are still growing strongly......it didnt wash those away..........
the shed floor is the cleanest ive seen it........the greenhouse took a bit of a battering.not structualy.(i built it myself so im pleased about that!)..but inside its battered toms cucs and everything that wasnt on the staging
most of the plants i planted that survived the slugs snails and rabbits seem ok
it did wipe out the area put aside this year for cutting flowers........but the slugs had already made a hefty hole in that anyway..................
ps......................sorry for the delay.........wife dragged me offf to the seaside for a few days to see relatives!
gonna be a busy weekend............but im thankfull that the damage isnt as bad as it looked at the begining of the week
still got some plots under water........and the council have been round to those still affected and asked what help they need.................so maybe those poor souls still knee deep in it will get some assistance

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 00:15:29 »
Hi MM, So sorry to hear and see all the flooding on your plot. We have been flooded a few times, though not quite as bad as that. Once the water drained away we were very surprised how much survived, so I hope that is the case with you too. Hope things are not as bad as they looked.  All the best, busy_lizzie  :(
live your days not count your years

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 12:06:31 »
How come them bloody slugs always survive, barstards.  >:( :( :'(

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 18:48:07 »
We too have had floods, breakins and vandals, but nowhere as bad as other a4a members, my heart goes out to you.
On our site we are putting out plants for the taking and helping wherever we can.
Since getting my lottie and joining a4a I have come across some wonderful caring people. 
If everybody had the empathy and generosity of lottie holders what a wonderful place the world would be.
got a lottie got a life

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 18:59:16 »
lol.............ok kev....................ill save you some!
flooding has now subsided................and although everything is covered in a layer of silt.............not actualy to much damage done!
strawberrys gone...............and the wife is refusing to eat any produce  that has been in contact with the river................cant blame her realy but it looks ok?
this weekend will see me on a major clean up....the weeds are still growing strongly......it didnt wash those away..........
the shed floor is the cleanest ive seen it........the greenhouse took a bit of a battering.not structualy.(i built it myself so im pleased about that!)..but inside its battered toms cucs and everything that wasnt on the staging
most of the plants i planted that survived the slugs snails and rabbits seem ok
it did wipe out the area put aside this year for cutting flowers........but the slugs had already made a hefty hole in that anyway..................
ps......................sorry for the delay.........wife dragged me offf to the seaside for a few days to see relatives!
gonna be a busy weekend............but im thankfull that the damage isnt as bad as it looked at the begining of the week
still got some plots under water........and the council have been round to those still affected and asked what help they need.................so maybe those poor souls still knee deep in it will get some assistance

Hi

You should ask the council to get some of the food tested on the plots like yours which have had the water come off it. Your wifes quite right that they may be affected by some nasty stuff.

They should also be testing the slit which might also be affected.

Camborune7

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal