Author Topic: Anyone interested in a YORKSHIRE (and friends) A4A meet????  (Read 12778 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Anyone interested in a YORKSHIRE (and friends) A4A meet????
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 13:20:04 »
Here's my twopenneth!

Scampston is lovely, but only in the summer months as it's mainly perrennial, prairie style planting (designed by Piet Oudolf), unless it's changed since I was last there. It's also quite small.

Harlow Carr has plenty of space and is open all year round, always something new to see. The cafe has recently been taken over by Betty's of Harrogate, which means it's good but expensive and busy, so picnic might be best. It isn't actually that close to the station, but there are plenty of buses, or if you're energetic you can walk from Valley Gardens in Harrogate.Probably one of the easiest to get to if coming by public transport.

Newby Hall is nice, loads to see including a sculpture trail. Very popular with families, especially at weekends, which may be good or bad!

Just realised most of this is on the websites, but now you've got my spin!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 14:52:03 »
Thanks Caroline, it seems we may  have 3/4 for Harlow Carr. I wonder how far from the station, they say 1.5 miles in their site, I thought it sounded a bit odd a gardens so close to town, so maybe it is a misprint.They certainly sounded very nice. Anybody not hapy with Harlow Carr?? Yell out quick, I don't know any of them.

Picnic ideas... each bring our own...or do we do a Pot Luck and bring a  prepared dish to share. We could have a sign up list, eg salad, dessert,entree, etc .

I don't know if it is differnt here, but back home we asked folks to sign up to bring  1 item,which was enough to feed the people coming with them plus 1/2 more, this made it work for different appetites and covered the situations that happen sometimes, like the day the lady bring a large dessert dropped it in the car park.

Anyway as always, majority will rule.

Ideas,dates XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 15:17:54 »
I've just booked a flight back to UK. I'm there from 20 July to 4 Aug. If I can borrow one of the cars in the family or sort out public transport I'm open to any of the venues mentioned.
Ken

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 16:00:49 »
If the meet falls on one of my days off, then I'm game for Harlow Carr. If during the school holidays, there are usually some events organised for the children and there is a small play area and a model village. I, too, think a picnic is best and I like Jeannine's suggestion of 'bring a dish'.

My own allotment, on Harlow Hill, is not far from Harlow Carr, but I don't think I'll offer a guided tour! However, I could collect & return some people to the railway station if required - I could squeeze 4 passengers into my car. I'll check out the buses - I think the 106 which goes pass my plot goes fairly near but probably leaves a good half mile to walk. At least the bus has got you up the hill!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 16:39:43 »
Ok so I will take it to the next step. those interested,please could you PM by way so I have you all together, would you please say

dates that are good/not good for you

shared picnic/not shared picnic

OK/notOK with Harlow Carr

This is not a commitment!!!

Please PM  me even if you think I already know.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 21:00:03 »
We're away 23rd-27th July but available most weekends (unless something else comes up,of course!) Harlow Carr is fine for us (though Paul prefers Newby Hall!) and we could always pick people up from the station too.  Happy to do our own or a shared picnic.

BTW, Autoroute says it's 3.4 miles from the station.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007, 00:48:07 »
  :-\

Ahem...I live on the wrong side of the Pennines, but would love to come. Harlow Carr sounds great!

A picnic would be a great idea, anything to keep me away from Betty's cakes!

;)

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 09:31:59 »
We have family in Leeds, please, count me in!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 10:16:28 »
We have got to this point.

Judging by PMs and  comments here Harlow Carr seems to be the most popular

Those who have mentioned food  seem to like the idea of a picnic. We can sort out that a little later.

For day, Saturday or Sunday seems to be the popular choice.

Dates, this is the one that is awkward. Most of you want late July/August

In order to get the majority choice I still need preferred dates from:

Sweetpea
Prink13
MickW
OliveOil                                   PLEASE CAN THESE PEOPLE CONTACT ME ASAP
Grawrc
Lilypad
Katynewbie
Manics

I have dates or confirmation that anytime is OK from:
Natasha
Saddad
flossie
mc55
Kenkew
Marestail Murderer
Carol
Caroline7758
DebP
Macaurther park
Heldi
Vee

Thank you, I wil be back in touch as soon as I get the other info.

If you are not on  one of the above lists  and feel you have let me know please contact me.

THERE IS STILL LOTS OF TIME FOR OTHERS TO JOIN US,OPEN TO ALL,

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:48:23 by Jeannine »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 11:58:58 »
I have just done a bit of calender juggling and bearing in mind the dates  I have been given so far  it seems as if 2  weekends in Jully are best for the majority , they are  21st/22nd  and  28th/29th.Many people areaway in August.

However when I break it down further,sadly MC 55 cannot make either weekend,  and it looks like everyone else who has contacted me so far can make the 21st July.(some not the 22nd)

Here is the list of folks who cam make it  for that date.

Carol
flossie
DebP
Marestail Murderer
Macaurther
Heldi
Natasha
Kenkew
Caroline 7758
Saddad
Vee
Wilko
Me

I am still waiting for a few to confirm but I think they are waiting for a date to check.

What do you all think?? Is  Saturday 21st July OK!!

I can go to the next step of it is. XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 12:12:06 »
sorry guys i dont think i can make this.

cambourne7

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 12:30:01 »
Jeannine, you'll have to count me out too, not sure of dates as unsure when going to see the Queen!!!!!

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 12:47:17 »
Well Kathi that is the best excuse I have ever heard,,,,,name dropper LOL XX Jeannine

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 14:30:52 »
There's been a landslide on the A59 over Blubberhouses on that steep road that runs along the crag-side. I'm sure it will be OK by July, but I'm keeping in touch with my friends in Skipton on progress. The road was blocked at the last report.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 15:24:37 »
Kathi, just had a thought, it is not only for Yorkshire folks, do you want to give her a ring and ask her if she is free that day.Oh, and remind her to bring food for the picnic. XX Jeannine

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 17:14:20 »
Green Salad anyone?
 ;D

tadpole

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 17:27:42 »
Yes, KK, road was blocked when I came through on Tuesday from Kendal, but it's such a major road, I'm sure it'll be cleared pretty soon.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 17:51:13 »
By eck`a meet oop North? Me and Lass be spending brass in July getting poncified. Shame really cos Jen worked at Harlow Carr

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 18:01:12 »
Oh wot a bluddy shame tha 'nows. I still want to know what Toms you want from me. XX Jeannine

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 18:15:45 »
let me know if the date changes  :'( :'( , however its not all bad as I'll be enjoying myself in Sweden ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal