Author Topic: High rise(?) raised beds.  (Read 2630 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
High rise(?) raised beds.
« on: June 15, 2007, 20:04:05 »
My first attemts at making raised beds.....go on have a laugh.. I DID!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: High rise(?) raised beds.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 20:11:20 »
I'm not laughing, lorna, they're beds and they're raised, I bet you get some lovely veggies from them, regardless of how they look..some of ours are as straight as a dog's hind leg  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 20:53:18 »
Wow :o, I'm impressed. All looks to be coming along very nicely Lorna. Wot you got in there?
Smile, it confuses people.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 21:24:09 »
Will have to go back to the drawing board next year. Had to balance across one bed this evening to pick my sweet peas, put the s.pea net side of path should have put net r. bed side!! Have got peas, must net soon(first again for me) radish. carrots,beetroot. In third bed (not in pic. have got some outdoor toms.) Thanks gals.
Lorna.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 21:42:43 »
Look forward to seeing the feast on a plate Lorna ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 12:00:56 »
looking good gal, and a hellova lot better than breaking your back.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 12:08:04 »
Why would you laugh, I think these are great, the carrots etc you get from those should be fab, I would like some just like that. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 12:13:24 »
 ;D ;D ;D

I am useless at DIY Lorna, so those look pretty good to me! Well done you!

;)

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 13:19:48 »
Hi lorna, its not what the beds look like, but what you get out of them. I bet all that you plant in them will do really well, excellent job.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 13:41:07 »
DD Hope you are right!!
Katy I am reasonably good at DIY in the house, had to learn when Charlie was confined to a wheelchair, he was a good teacher. When we lost him within weeks I was decorating every room in the bungalow, kept me sane. Due for another brighten up..4years when I did it. What I am hopeless at is colour schemes!!! Might get young Lorna on that this time, she has made her bungalow (next door) look lovely.
Lorna.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 13:56:33 »
I think the beds look just great Lorna 8) - and what's growing in them ain't bad either  ;D And you say there's a third? Really really well done! Tell ....how much compost did it take to fill them?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 14:09:45 »
Thanks Lish. The first 2 beds were  about 1/4 filled with rotted horse manure, I also put in quite a lot of spent  compost from last years tubs. I then topped with about 60ltrs (I think) of fresh compost. Hopefully everything will grow. For the 3rd one, young Lorna had her front garden border lowered so her gardening chap wheeled it round here, so that one has got normal garden soil, then horse manure and then topped with fresh compost.
Lorna.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 15:26:11 »
I've been gardening for years. Those raised beds are a bit of alright.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 17:38:19 »
Well thank you kind sir :) I do have to put different ends on them. I have some marine ply in the garage that was left over from when Charlie made the Grandchildren garages. dolls houses, rocking horses, and wendy houses for the garden. Just have to wait for son John to cut the right sizes for me, he has got all Charlie's electric saws but under no circumstances will they trust me to use them  :o (I need all my fingers for decorating ;D)
Lorna

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 19:11:00 »
They are far better than mine Lorna cos I ain't got any. Think I am gonna have to start thinking about some though cos it sure would save my aching back. They look great. the stuff growing in them doesn't look bad either. I love to see what others are getting up to as well. It's the nosey in me.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 19:36:06 »
Shirl. You know I am knocking on a bit so thought I would try 3 beds this year, I do have a few things in pots as well. Just trying to prepare for future years, I do have sciatica quite badly sometimes but I certainly don't want to give up my garden. I know the children would keep most of it going but that's not the same as doing it yourself...is it? So in a nutshell I did it to make life easier, didn't know (well you know I am a novice) anything about carrot fly ;D ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 21:34:13 »
Raised beds make such a difference, mine are old scaffold boards, I retrieved them from a tool hire place, they had been dumped behind their depot and I had to drag them out of a pile of rubbish, get them into the car, home and then clean them up, cut to the right size, paint with preservative and then down to the allotment and nail in place.  Whole operation took the best part of a year.
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal