Author Topic: Harvesting Redcurrants  (Read 4683 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
Harvesting Redcurrants
« on: June 12, 2007, 22:05:22 »
I have some redcurrant bushes at the top of my plot...the one bush I can just about get to (that whole area is a very overgrown mess of couch, nettles, raspberries & brambles) looks like the fruit is ripe. They are fully red & nice & shiney...now any fruit I will get off this area is a complete bonus to me as I didnt even know it was part of my plot las year...plus I cant afford to net the area to protect the fruit from the birds......but it would be nice to get something off it & I thinking at least a pot of redcurrant jelly to go with xmas dinner this year would be nice ;D....sooooo my questions....

1. How long do I have before they are past their best?....the info I have read is that they are good as long as they are shiney...but are past their best when they have gone dull. Is that right?

2. If I am too late picking them & they do go over, what affect will it have on the end product? Will they be unusable or just a little lacking in flavour?

3. How long can they be kept before processing them into jelly etc.....dont want to pick them all & waste them if Im too busy with my little one or the rest of the plot ;)....& how should they be kept - no good if they need to be refridgerated if Ive filled it up with other groceries the previous day ::)

TIA

Saz

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
Re: Harvesting Redcurrants
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 22:16:47 »
Not sure if this is much help but I have found that the timing is not critical.  Quite often it takes me ages to get around to picking them all.  They seem to have a much longer life than things like rasbs and straws.

I hope that you enjoy your harvest.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 22:23:05 »
good questions sazhig, i did not think of redcurrant jelly till you mentioned it.

Has anyone got a good recipie?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 22:30:40 »
I find all the currant family hang around for ages.... even the birds get sick of them eventually!
 ;D

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 22:53:55 »
Good to know saddad & flossie...think it will take me at least a week of very careful weeding & cutting to get all the way round it...let alone be able to see most of it.....& thats without all the other work I need to do to keep on top of the rest of the plot!

Cambourne...I found a few references to recipes for redcurrant jelly when I searched before I posted...but I have one in my Good Housekeeping cookbook...havent checked all the other ones I have to compare (I have far to many ;D) but its the one book I use most days for basic & common recipes so should be good I hope...can pm you it if you like?

What else can I do with redcurrants - jelly was the only thing I could think of.....if the birds dont eat it all I might end up with quite a few - There are 4 bushes on my plot which look fairly loaded with fruit :o

Saz

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 23:11:26 »
You can make a liqueur by steeping them in gin, rum or brandy. :P

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 23:17:49 »
Summer pudding is wonderful with redcurrants in. :)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 23:46:14 »
Sazhig, if you can't use red or blackcurrants right away just pop them into the freezer - I used the last bag of last years berries only the other week and the jelly turned out just fine.  I've also used red and black together for jelly and it's nice. My main problem is getting them picked (red especially) before the birds get to them - the mice are also partial to them I've been told - have had a bush stripped in the past!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 07:14:02 »
On The Big Dig last night , someone had made a desert with them. She said it was an almond pastry base, then red currants, topped with meringue.

cj :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 08:01:09 »
Good on cheesecake as well.....
 8)

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 11:03:49 »
Mix them with raspberries, strawberries and some black currants. Cook until the fruits are a bit soft. Serve luke warm with whipped cream and you have a scandinavian desert: Rödgröd wid flöd

On a layer of filopastry with pieces of apple, breadcrumbs, sugar, a bit of butter and cinnamon. Cover with some more sheets and pop inthe oven for a nice crispy fruity summer pie.

Or just the fruits with some sugar, leave it for a few hours and eat with (or without) yoghourt.

I just love red currants.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 15:14:47 »
Redcurrants are a useful addition in many traditional strawberry and raspberry jam recipes. They stretch the precious strawbs and rasps further, complement both flavours beautifully and, being really high in pectin, give a terrific set.

And of course, as Tulippa says, they're essential in summer pudding!  :P ;D

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 13:56:55 »
 ;D ;D ;D 8) ::)  My lady wife makes lovely redcurrant jelly (got3lb of currants in the freezer already) she says it`s easier than making jam.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 14:40:48 »
What's the difference between jelly and jam? ::)

cj :)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 15:06:37 »
Jam comes with all the fruity bits in (pulp etc).
Jelly is clear and made just with fruit juice -- the fruit is cooked gently till really soft, sometimes with a bit of water and/or spices, then strained in a 'jelly bag' over a bowl so the clear juice runs out. Only then is sugar added for the final boiling.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 15:09:18 by triffid »

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 16:36:19 »
Recipe for cambourne7

Redcurrent Jelly by Delia.

2lb redcurrents  2lb sugar[warmed]

Wash the fruit.   Put in large saucepan or jam kettle.  No need to remove stalks.
Bring slowly to the boil.   Stir and crush fruit[about 10 mins].  When the fruit is cooked, add the warmed sugar.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Rapid boil for 8 mins..   Strain through muslin or gauze supported by a sieve into bowl.  Pour into warm sterile jars.  Wonderful.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 22:03:52 »
Cheers for all the suggestions guys....dying to get cooking now...especially as Ive been shopping today & bought all the kit  ;D

Quick daft question or 2 though re freezing.....

If I freeze the currants as I harvest them do I then defrost them before cooking or just bung em in the pan frozen?

Is it best to weigh them before hand & lable the bags accordingly as presumably it would be harder to judge the fruit/sugar ratio from defrosted/frozen ones?

How is it best to freeze them? - is it fine to just bung em in a bag or do they need laying out on trays first....

Ta

Saz

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 22:09:22 »
I found a couple of bags of raspberries in the freezer the other week left over from last year, so I made jam - just bunged them into the pan frozen with the sugar and some lemon juice.  Best jam I've ever made.

I freeze all the berries (blackcurrants and raspberries) on trays, then they don't stick together when frozen.  I'd do red currants too, but Mr & Mrs Blackbird seem to beat me to it each year.  I'm keeping an eye on the reducrrant this year, and it is well netted, so hopefully we'll get a jar of redcurrant jelly.
The Tuscan Beaneater

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 00:50:20 »
Well I actually had a wonderful lunch today with a friend... I defrosted the last of my victoria plums ... which I cut in half, destone, roll in sugar and just freeze in containers, the sugar sort of separates them and adds something extra.. yum.

Then I slightly heat in microwave, and cover in plain yoghurt ... or custard ... it was yoghurt today and then to top it off..

cover with a thick layer of redcurrants and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup... absolutely best way to use redcurrants, as a nice sharp topping to anything.

I have added them to the top of rice pudding and even porridge in the winter. And its amazing how long they last.

I don't do anything special when defrosting... just normal microwave for a minute and they are done. I have tried freezing them after giving them a shake in lo cal sugar and freezing them just as they are in containers and both methods are good. And they taste as good now as they did last year!
Lin

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 01:00:46 »
Recipe for cambourne7

Redcurrent Jelly by Delia.

2lb redcurrents  2lb sugar[warmed]

Wash the fruit.   Put in large saucepan or jam kettle.  No need to remove stalks.
Bring slowly to the boil.   Stir and crush fruit[about 10 mins].  When the fruit is cooked, add the warmed sugar.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Rapid boil for 8 mins..   Strain through muslin or gauze supported by a sieve into bowl.  Pour into warm sterile jars.  Wonderful.

brill many thanks maggie birmingham

can you freeze gooseberrys in the same way? ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal