Author Topic: A good place to buy tools at a competitive price?  (Read 3184 times)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
A good place to buy tools at a competitive price?
« on: June 13, 2007, 13:16:56 »
Hi all,
Sorry if this post is in the wrong section - I wasnt sure where to put it!....

Having just taken on an overgrown plot, the realisation is slowly sinking in that I need to spend quite a bit of money on tools!
Since moving out of my parent house and into a flat, I have had no need for garden tools, and as a result I will need to start from scratch.
I would like to ask two things if i may:

1. What are the essentials?  ie - what are the 'must buy' items.  I am thinking I will need to get a fork, spade, rake, hoe at the very least, but any advice here would be good.

2. Are there any websites or shops (I am located in South Hampshire) that are good value, or do second hand sales?
I am going to check out some car boot sales aswell, but not sure where the local ones are!

Im sure this seems like a very 'newbie' thing to be asking, but I would like to keep the initial outlay as low as possible as im sure you will appreciate.

TIA
James
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: A good place to buy tools at a competitive price?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 13:24:10 »
I got S/S spade and fork from Tesco for under a tenner each, and border spade and fork for the OH to use, also in S/S for under six quid each. All have fibreglass shafts with plastic "D" handles, and so far seem to be very good.
Oh, and a S/S lawn edging knife for seven quid too.
Try your local market, if they have a (secondhand?)tool stall. I managed to get a mattock quite cheaply from ours.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 13:35:25 »
have you got any cheap shops in your area: Wilkinsons, Poundland, Pound Stretcher, that kind of thing?
they're always worth a browse.
and have a look in Bargains Galore, in the General part of the forum, this is where people post info about the latest bargains to be had ;)

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 14:51:13 »
If you haven't already then join Freecycle for your area and place a request on the forum there.

You will be sure to find something you can use in your allotment.  Somebody somewhere will be clearing out a shed or garage and have tools to spare.

Sand

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 15:01:42 »
There's a Wilkinsons in Portsmouth, also Fareham and Havant.  Check this link: http://www.viamichelin.com/b2b2c/gbr/dyn/controller/DLAmbiguous?intMapType=1 &productId=50700&withCriteria=true&from=1234&strLocation=portsmouth&strAddress=&strCP=&Submit.x=38&Submit.y=13&Submit=Submit

I go to the one in Shirley (Southampton), they have loads of gardening stuff there, plus an excellent range of tools.
The Tuscan Beaneater

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 15:03:30 »
I second that Sand, definately join Freecycle, you might even be able to get some plants to pop in.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 15:43:16 »
Thanks everyone,  I can use a route on the way home from work that will take me past Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and Wilkinsons!
I have also requested to join my local freecycle group and my app is pending.

Should be able to find some bargains :)

Thanks again
James
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 16:28:25 »
Keep your receipt!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 17:13:53 »
Not cheap, but I can recommend the Wolf push pull hoe, just bought it and it beats anything I have had before.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 23:04:10 »
Buy cheap. Buy twice.

For anyone starting out I would recommend the car boot sale and hunt out the old but good. You will not get anything of real quality in the bargin bucket shops because quality costs. On the other hand, being expensive does not make it good either. Newcomers to this exciting sport seem to think that the nice fork and spade in Homebase for £7 ea is just as good as my tools.  ;D

Garden tools should be made of forged steel (not to be confused with forge and steal), and any spade with a welded shaft is imported mild steel junk.

What do you need?

Spade, fork, rake and hoe are essential. Good quality secateurs and shears desirable. A string-line is also essential (don't hit me) but a ball of string and two sticks is just as efficient as a £60 super-duper.

Having good tools is not enough. Learn how to use them properly and treat them with respect.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 08:36:26 »
I would have to agree with this, the cheapish spade I bought at Lidls bent at the first use.

However the old rusty spade that we got from a car boot sale has been absolutely invaluable and still going strong despite the amount of digging it has seen this year!

Also, sometimes the local tip has a section of old tools etc that it sells for a few quid, maybe worth looking into?
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:48:58 »
I ended up doing what I usually do!  I found the bargain, and then thought for 'just' a few quid more I could have THAT one....

Tesco had 3 types.  Their 'value' one (for about a fiver iirc) just looked like it was begging to be broken.  They had a midrange one, which looked better but still had its fair share of plastic bits on it.  This was 8 or 9 pounds.
Then i saw they had the 'finest' range (as they do with their food products).  This was about £12,  had a wooden handle, and looked to be better build quality.  Its made of 'heat treated stainless steel',  but im not sure if this is the same as forged steel.

Anyway,  I was feeling quite guilty when i got home, so i was glad to see the advice here not to go for the cheapest!

I also got shears and soil rake,  so now need hoe and string thing.

Getting quite frustrated now too - cant get hold of a strimmer, but hopefully will have one for this weekend.  Working is so inconvenient at times!

I did consider trying a sythe, but was stumped as to where to get hold of one (to borrow) and also was fearful for my ankles!  As Eristic said - knowing how to use tools is important :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 16:16:52 »
Not cheap, but I can recommend the Wolf push pull hoe, just bought it and it beats anything I have had before.

XX Jeannine

Is that the one with rotating stars/spikes ?

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 17:58:05 »
I found a grass hook / sickle useful to cut down the weeds on the 3/4 of plot that we didn't cultivate and also to cut the paths.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 22:04:41 »
Then i saw they had the 'finest' range (as they do with their food products).  This was about £12,  had a wooden handle, and looked to be better build quality.  Its made of 'heat treated stainless steel',  but im not sure if this is the same as forged steel.

Anyway,  I was feeling quite guilty when i got home, so i was glad to see the advice here not to go for the cheapest!

My personal choice is Spear & Jackson Neverbend or Bulldog.  Both old-fashioned forged construction, typically £25 per tool.  But the S&J has a 25 year guarantee.  You really can't break these tools.

But actaully we also have a couple of Tesco stainless tools - a fork and spade - that were given to us.  They're actually not too bad.  Stainless steel is much softer than forged steel, and will bend under hard use, but to be fair these will stand sensible usage.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 22:12:33 »
We prefer S&J, but were given a set of Homebase spade, fork and rake by a friend who moved from a house to a flat, and they have been OK for the last few years.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 22:19:55 »
I have an ordinary steel spade I got from Tesco's for £3, and a steel handled fork which doubles as a crowbar from the Rag Market for £5. They've both done me for years. Look around, there's no need to spend the sort of money some people are talking about.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 23:52:39 »
Barnowl, the Wolf is a series of attachments that fir into a special handle I think there is one that yiou describe, but this one is called the push pull. Lokk yo Wol tools on the net and you will see the full range, it is very good XX Jeannijne
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 12:05:14 »
Thanks Jeannine - found it.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 12:20:50 »
I bought a fork in b&q that bent, replaced it with one from wickes - very good value and strong.

Wickes stuff is pretty basic but its built for complete animals (like myself) so has to be strong. well worth checking out

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal