Author Topic: Caulis 2  (Read 1953 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Caulis 2
« on: June 10, 2007, 18:34:26 »
 This is my sad specimen! They all look a bit like this. Can anyone tell me what went wrong please? I bought the plants locally as my first lot were 'got at'

Smile, it confuses people.

PAULW

• Acre
Re: Caulis 2
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 19:18:31 »
The flower has "blown" , lack of water has caused the plant to become  stressed and then gone to flower to early.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 19:23:00 »
Barron deficiency
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 19:41:58 »
our caulis have gone the same, maggie, I think it's the very dry weather..the only time we've had decent ones is with overwintering ones, they seem to relish wet springs  :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 20:03:37 »
Barron deficiency
what is Barron deficiency please davyw1
PaulW, I'm puzzled as to lack of water, as I mulch with straw and regularly check the state of affairs underneath and so far all has been nicely damp!
All my other brassicas seem to be ok.
Sorry to hear yours are no good too, Manics. mine will have to go to my friend's chickens I fear. ::)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 20:14:15 by Emagggie »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 20:13:35 »
we still eat as much as we can, they taste ok, just not much of them  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 22:14:17 »
I think he means boron.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 22:24:11 »
Mine did that in the really hot summer of 2003.  Don't think it was lack of water, they had plenty, and were well mulched.  Think it was the heat they couldn't stand.

It put me off growing caulis, till I tried again this year.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 22:30:32 »
My two penneth. I think the type of cauli has somethin to do with it too.

My lottie neighbours tell me our land won't grow caulis.The first year I agreed with them,then I started to plant different ones.The second year I planted several types all at the same time. I found the very quick growing(50 days)  seemed to bolt very easily. One stood out from the others,I found  I have had no problem with it ,it self wraps, does not easily bolt and grows a big head.(75 days)

We are eating these now and have had no trouble with the heat,and we have rarely watered. I do not claim to be good at growing brassicas so it is not skill on my part, I really believe it is the variety which is called Shasta.

Described as...heavy well wrapped heads on a reliable plant that does well under variable conditions ,relatively tolerant to heat and stress when given lots of room.

I am sure there have to be other types too,I only know this one and have been very happy with it for 4 years.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 23:49:54 »
Thanks for that Jeannine, what is boron? A plotter 3 along grows the most beautiful caulis. Next time I see him I'll ask what type he grows. I will give Shasta a go too.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 00:10:27 »
It is a mineral, a nutrient that the plant need to stay healthy, think of it a s a vitamin.A boron deficiency is most likely in alkaline soils quick remedy to help ailing plants is spraying with seaweed extracts .Don't add lime as it is probably aready alkaline. Cauliflowers growing in boron deficient soil will grow slowly,tips of leaves will die back and leaves will be distorted,there will be some browning on the cauli head which will probably be small, small heads are also caused by planting too closely together,then leaving them in longer in the hope they get bigger doesn't work as they just go to seed.

Hope this is any use to you XX Jeannine

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 10:02:07 »
Thanks for that Jeannine, what is boron? A plotter 3 along grows the most beautiful caulis. Next time I see him I'll ask what type he grows. I will give Shasta a go too.
Boron deficiency is basically lack of compost in the soil.
Cauli,s are not hard to grow really its just a matter of following a few basic rules.
I found one of the best to grow for my first crop is Candid Charm. When my Cauli,s are in i give them a small drink every day to keep the roots moist. Another thing i do is on planting i put a ring of fertilizer around the base of the plant so it goes strait down to the roots.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 15:00:03 »
I don't think it's boron deficiency as my soil was well manured and I did do a soil test (with my testing kit I was given for Christmas ;D) which proved all ok. Well that's two types of cauli recommended, on the hunt tomorrow as local GC was a waste of time today. ::)
Thanks again.
M.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 15:16:47 »
Jeannine, what make are the seeds please? I have googled and can find none of that name.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 17:38:00 »
Emaggie, send me your addy I will send you a few,came from Canada from West Coast Seeds,Vancouver.XX Jeannine

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 09:06:21 »
Jeannine, you are a star. Seeds arrived thismorning, off to greenhouse immediately to sow! ;D Many thanks.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 21:20:38 »
Jeannine When do you sow your Shasta cauliflower seeds??

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 09:09:11 »
Hi Rosy, the Shasta can be sown from early March till mid June, but I generally start them in pots a couple of weeks before that,around Valentines day.They are very big now and am going to have to freeze I think.

I have another good one but it is super early called Early Dawn however if we have a hot spell early like this year it doesn't do so well.It is 25 days earlier than Shasta.
XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal