Author Topic: perch in hut  (Read 2386 times)

sid

• Half Acre
perch in hut
« on: June 14, 2007, 19:40:48 »
i dont think the hens are using the perch it is about a foot of the bottom of the hut and around 4 inch wide got told it was ok but i thought the hens would like sumthing slimmer so they could hold on  can you help thanks

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: perch in hut
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 13:37:06 »
I have a stake its about 4"  round. its about my waist height, mine do roost on top of nest boxes ( solid top) I just put newspaper on and change it each morning. dont know if that helps you.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 17:15:08 »
I think 4cm is the norm not 4"" - sounds a bit big for me!  I'll measure mine at the weekend - i know they are def not more than 4cm... remember too big or too small can cause bumblefoot.

alan42

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 02:08:04 »
a perch should really be of varying thickness like a branch this means the foot has to grip different sizes therefore exercising it, bumble foot is caused by a mite very similar to human scabies and is treated the same way.
Alan
Middlesbrough, non organic.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 13:14:38 »
I'd have to disagree - i think what you are referring to is scaly leg mite which is just like scabies in humans affecting the legs. Bumblefoot is more common in heavier breeds with incorrect perching - too wide/too narrow, its an injury leading to infection in the foot.

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 19:26:38 »
thanks for that i think i am going to try a old branch got one that might work goes from thick to thin see if that helps them

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 21:34:28 »
Hi . i am defiantly no expert!! but i use garden trellising (not sure if thats how it is spelt!) its the square sort.  I just use it as it is and have hung it like a shelve about 10 inches above the ground. they all seem to like it.  I was recommended to this by someone at a local farmers market. he told me that the bird have more space to huddle up together then on a single perch and less chance of falling and getting injured. the only problem i have found is that not all the poop goes to the floor so a little more cleaning up!!

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 20:45:31 »
thanks for that might try it Wat's a bit more  cleaning up lol

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:04:42 »
They like to perch high up and about wood about 2" wide with curved edges is best for them. B&Q do some called CNS I think or CSN cant remember now but its ideal. Put the curved edges upwards for them to grip and make sure you have something to enable them to get there. We have hutches in the shed and they use them as nesting areas and as a way of getting to the perches by degrees. Some chickens are not good at flying straight up there, silkies for instance. We also have rows of crisp boxes with a round hole cut in the front and a little bedding there for additional nest boxes and a safe place for broodies to sit. It is easy to keep them clean as we just burn them and replace them periodically.

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 20:44:43 »
good ider will try it out i have sume wood of sume old frncing with curved tops will try it out thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal