Author Topic: potato - blight ?please help as about to dig all up!  (Read 1666 times)

marcusexeter

• Not So New ...
potato - blight ?please help as about to dig all up!
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:35:39 »
hi
I have two sorts of potatoes - pink fir ( nice and healthy ) and anya which have got little spots on them , gone yellow and a re shrivelling up suddenly after being really healthy - the two sorts of salad pota are planted in beds side by side - leaves touching but it's only the Anya that is bad. I've looked up blight pics. and the blight brown spots are much bigger - these are like lots of tiny broen spots on completely yellow plants ? looks like next door has got it too, any info much appreciated.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: potato - blight ?please help as about to dig all up!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 10:54:52 »
Do you have some way of testing the pH of your soil? I get the feeling yours might be a bit too alkaline (chalky)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 15:12:53 »
Blight's unmistakeablel; the whole plant rots overninght. No need to worry too much about small spots. It's very early for blight, but I just had a text warning of a Smith period, so we do need to be alert.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 19:04:06 »
I've just had a 'full smith' period warning by email too.............what should I be doing about it, ? covering up the tatties? :-\

A few of my Anya potatoes have a yellower leaf than other varieties too, some got frosted a bit too, so a few brown edges and spots.? similar problems?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 19:37:30 »
It might be worth spraying with Bordeaux mix, but not until it stops raining or it'll be washed straight off the leaves. It's early yet so I'm not worrying too much.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 19:53:51 »
whats a smith period?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 20:57:00 »
two successive days with over 90% humidity and the temperature over 10 Centigrade. These provide ideal conditions for the airborne fungal spores to germinate and penetrate a potato leaf. Once it gets that far, the plant's had it.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 23:45:00 »
Could be the symptoms of potato cyst eelworm. Try digging one up gently and looking at the roots, if there are really tiny yellowish or white ball-shaped eelworms attached to the roots, that's what it is. Anya happens to be very prone to suffering form this pest if it's in the soil.
It's a bit early for blight IMHO.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal