Author Topic: Pale and sickly toms  (Read 832 times)

DadnDom

• Half Acre
Pale and sickly toms
« on: June 11, 2007, 20:59:01 »
Planted my outdoor toms out 2 weeks back, most are doing really well but three on the far side are going very light yellow and have not grow at all, some of the peas are doing the same, foliage going yellow, is it some form of nutrient deficiency?
It's a new plot cut right out of wasteground/grass/paddock.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Pale and sickly toms
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:33:52 »
Could be some deficiency or other, but you'd maybe expect to see that on all of them. Wonder if you had any bonfires before planting, as heavy deposits of ash will lock up some nutrients. Could also be some weedkiller residue left in certain areas.

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 15:18:22 »
what about nitrogen deficiency.  could that be a reason for yellow sickly plants.  My sister in law has her in a basket in good new compost and the same has happened so not sure if it is nitrogen def.  could it be something else.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 15:31:59 »
Most likely a physiological problem e.g. sulking because they have been moved from indoors to outdoors.

Have a look at the growing tip and if it is a healthy colour then all should be OK in a week or twos time!

By the way; how did you prepare the ground prior to planting out and how often do you water?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 16:48:10 »
As Tee Gee says they might just be sulking. Newly converted grass land can carry a few unwelcome beasties though-might be worth having a look to see if anything has been at the roots?

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 17:53:18 »
It may be magnesium deficiency...my toms turn yellow at the beginning of every season but turn nice and green once I water them with Epsom salts. You can buy the salts at Boots - just pour some into your watering can and water on.
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal