Author Topic: Green Fingers  (Read 2145 times)

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
Green Fingers
« on: June 06, 2004, 10:44:34 »
Is there any truth in the saying 'hasn't got green fingers' my mum has a gardener [she's 84] and he is great at digging and odd jobs but everything he plants [buries] doesn't come up, she went up the garden yesterday and everything she had done herself was doing really well but nothing he had planted.  It can't be the soil or her's wouldn't grow and she was ther when he did it so she knows they're there.  Someone told her that it could be something to do with a chemical in sweat, has anyone got any ideas?  Also he thought a redcurrant bush was a bramble and cut it right back, it did have leaves and had started fruiting and now they have all gone yellow and curled up and died but there is no sign of insects, all help appreciated. [or a good gardener in Bournemouth]  Thanks Chezzie

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Green Fingers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 16:15:11 »
I shouldn`t laugh Chezzie but the idea of yet another `reality` tv show comes to mind `the Gardners from Hell`.  I think maybe a new gardener is needed.  Please send your mum my regards and sympathy.

Stephan.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 17:05:55 »
Maybe your mum is planting things gently because she loves what she's planting, and the gardener shoving them in too deep and too firmly because its his job?

I do believe gardening is fairly instinctive, but it is an instinct you can learn or develop over time (contradiction in terms I think but I'm sure you know what I mean).  At 84 I guess your mum has all the instinct she needs to help the garden grow!

I think your mum needs an gardener/handyman, not a handyman/gardener, or one of each!

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 19:15:30 »
Sorry about the late reply we've been re-cabling, funny that, I'm strung between a power and internet cable niether of which are long enough and my son's happily surfing away in the comfort of his study [sounds posh looks like a tip]!

My mum's had about five gardeners all better than the last but not quite getting there, at least this one shows willing even if when he plants things it's the last you've seen of them. lol  So no-one's heard about the sweat chemical thing then?

Thanks for your kind words Stephan, luckily she's in charge of the tomatoes and they are going great guns!  Chezzie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal