Author Topic: Amazing year for strawbs!  (Read 2382 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Amazing year for strawbs!
« on: June 11, 2007, 13:32:21 »
I don't know if it is thanks to the dry April then wet May here in Essex, but I can't keep up with the strawberries.  I don't have a huge area really, yet yesterday I picked over 4Ib and that was only the really ripe ones.  Probably another pound or 2 or those that had some colour but not all over.  I also notice the red and blackcurrant bushes are already weighed down with fruit and the gooseberries are huge.  Looks like I am going to be making a lot of jam, pies, crumbles, chutneys and bottles before much longer!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Amazing year for strawbs!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 13:45:57 »
Hear, hear!  Our strawberry bed is now two years old and producing like a good 'un.  It seems a shame to make them into jam, so we're giving them to the neighbours.  (Our friends haven't yet got the haunted look that comes over them when the courgettes and tomatoes hit full production and they're deluged with allotment offerings  ;D ;D ;D )
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 13:54:25 by Melbourne12 »

sumbody

• Not So New ...
Re: Strawberry Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 13:48:02 »
Hi all,  Great I saw your Strawberry posting  - I was looking for some answers about the runners.

Last year I planted some strawberries (they were replacements that had died on me from the previous Autumn) - well I got about 2 strawberries from the whole pack - but lots and lots of runners which I potted up and this year they are all doing well (I have them in pots) - but they have started producing runners already.  

I have read somewhere that once they produce runners then that means they have finished fruiting.  

My question ? should I cut these runners off - will this start them fruiting again or is it too late now ?  

I want some runners for new plants for next year - but would prefer more strawberries for this year and will pot up the runners later in the year.

Sorry if this has been answered before - have searched but found nothing that gives me a specific answer.

Thanks

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 14:01:22 »
This is what that guru of strawberry growing, Ken Muir, has to say:

From June onwards, runners will start appearing and a decision will have to be made whether to have a bed of single plants or matted rows. Single plants are easier to keep free from weeds and the fruit is well displayed for picking.

Furthermore, a higher proportion of large sized fruit may be expected than from matted rows which, though more difficult to keep free from weeds, bear a heavier crop of fruit within the same sized plot.

By repeatedly cutting off the stolons as soon as they appear and well before the runners start to root, strong single plants consisting of many crowns will be formed round the original plants. To form a matted row, the runners should be trained to root into a strip of soil 35- 45cm (14-18in) wide along the originally planted rows. For every original plant, between six and nine runners should be allowed to root. Any runners in excess of this number that appear should be cut off so that a clear pathway 35- 45cm (14-18in) wide is left for walking between the matted rows. It is not possible to form a matted row having planted strawberries under polythene, because the runner crowns do not have the necessary contact with the surface of the soil to be able to root.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 14:05:45 »
My strawberries have been really dissapointing. Most of the Elsanta look diseased (possibly verticillium wilt), though the Gariguette are growing well. I will pull up all the Elsanta plants when they have stopped cropping and start a new bed with different varieties.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 14:19:25 »
   How long will strawberry plants give a reasonable crop ?.
    Mine have been in for 3-4 years now and still get a few good sized fruit and tasty, but are they coming to the end now?
      Thanks. :-\ ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 14:52:42 »
Should be thinking of replacing them by now... best practise is to root some runners each year and have a walking bed... if you have the room...
 8)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 14:53:12 »
I too have been amazed by my strawberries, they are by far the best thing on my plot and they are 1st year in. I put them in early, in March and they took off despite the strange weather. I have a strange variety called Cijosée which has given me some wonderful fruit and the Mara des Bois are just fruiting now, I get at least 20 fruit every time I go down and I have 25 plants in all. Even the strawbs I put in a pot on the balcony have given me a few fruit!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 14:58:27 »
we've been getting 3 lb per day for the last 4 days, we had quite a few before this..so, after giving lots away, we're now freezing them and are hoping we get lots for the weekend for the family  ;D

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 15:59:34 »
This is my first season of strawberries and I'm amazed how easy and productive they are! I've been picking them for a few weeks now and I get a very good crop every time. Today I got about 3lb. :)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 16:30:21 »
I was really excited when I saw this thread, was about to boast about picking 10 yesterday... no...not 10lb, but 10!!  ;D I was so chuffed too! Got one of those strawberry towers from Ken Muir for Christmas with about 30 plants in it.

I will get my coat..............

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 18:45:19 »
Daisymay - don't despair I am also counting strawberries numerically rather than in lbs, but I think mine are just getting going.

I also had to reinforce my anti bird defences - they have been particularly greedy this year, even eating the nasturtium leaves :o

Keep watering and feeding to get them established and if all else fails, tell yourself it is their first year ;)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 19:13:06 »
It looks like it .. picked 6lb today (after previously picking on Saturday) .. by far the biggest single picking that we have ever had.

I fear that my OH will end up with strawberry poisoning, as she finds it difficult to keep away from them.

The crop includes the variety Alice which we planted last autumn. We are very pleased with them - they are excellent, much juicier and tastier than the normal standard varieties that we have grown before.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 20:56:04 »
....and mine still have not gone red and I have tons ,,gggrhhh
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 22:51:08 »
Jeannine, try embarrassing them ;D

cj :)

grogirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 23:24:00 »
can i ask if anyone starts their strawbs from seed, and if so when would be a good time to set some off? oh, and will they be productive next year? thank you gg   x xx

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 23:36:55 »
Runners quicker and cheaper...
Only a problem if OH turns bright red!!!
 ;D

grogirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 23:45:38 »
thanks saddad x

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 07:30:52 »
It is a very good season for strawbs this year  ;D took a quick picture of the daily procedure:

(Excuse the asparagus!)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 10:30:42 »
Daisymay - don't despair

Never do... am always so proud of anything I manage to get to grow, novelty just never seems to wear off! Got another 5 last night... is just enough to top of my breakfast cereal nicely every morning, will do me just fine!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal