Author Topic: unknown berry  (Read 3622 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: unknown berry
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 00:14:51 »
I'm often in York... which isn't that far away... MIL lives in Osbaldwick which is on the Hull road...
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 00:19:45 »
I could get to York no trouble XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 12:46:57 »
This looks interesting, I am always on the lookout for soft fruits, can someone tell me more about them please. eg size of berry, yeild off a mature plant, taste compared to it's parents. How long before a bush fruits would be good.

Thank you XX Jeannine
Jeannine, if you go to www.growingyourown.info then fruit and click Jostaberry, you will find what I have written about it. If you click on the flower photo, you will see that the flower petals have a red tinge. I would add that it took two years to start fruiting with me, but it is now producing as much fruit as a large blackcurrant bush.
It is very easy to take cuttings, just as you would do with blackcurrants or gooseberries. Take a semi-ripe cutting about 45 cms long and put it into a pot in an sheltered spot until it roots in a couple of months. If you cannot find a mature specimen near you, let me know and I can take cuttings for you when I prune mine in the Autumn.
My site has only just been put up onto the net, and is still in the testing stage. There will be some minor changes in the next couple of weeks.

Good web site.  I have to say one thing my jostaberry fruited 4 months after I planted it.  Although that could be because it was a good size (only £5 though) and we have a reasonable amount of fruit for the first year about 5 + punnets

Any advice about pruning/ getting more etc ?  It is up against the fence so this bit from the website worried me :-
 However, it is a very big plant and requires a lot of space. Even with pruning, allow a 2 m x 2 m by 2 m high space.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 12:56:23 by davholla »

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 13:49:51 »
Tee Gee's picture makes me identify my berries as black currants. I inherited the plants and was told they were just that.
But I've been googling jostaberries and black currants and I don't see the difference.
I don't want to be annoying, but why is everybody assuming that the first picture shows jostaberries?

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 14:17:20 »
I think it is the size - jostaberries are bigger

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 14:49:27 »
I have one of those and i figured they were just red goosegogs. Googled red goosegogs and that's what came up. Or have they now been renamed?  ??? :P :-[
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 14:50:15 »
I think they're Glaston Berries.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 16:01:21 »
My black current has some berries which are huge about half the size of a gooseberry....it is a blackcurrent before you all say it must be a jostaberry too. It's Ben lomond. And it looks just like the ones in the picture.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 16:11:13 »
In the books I have got the photos of blackcurrants and jostaberries are different. 
The jostaberries are bigger also they are green before they go ripe.  What colour are unripe black currants ?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 17:10:11 »
 ;D Trixie!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 17:17:49 »
Green!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 18:21:06 »
If you look at a jostaberry when it is pink, it will have the pale lines along it, just like a goose berry, whereas a blackcurrant wont.

Does that help?

cj :)

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007, 19:02:44 »
Perhaps the easiest way to tell if you have a Blackcurrant or a Jostaberry, is to crush some leaves in your hand and smell! Blackcurrant leaves have a powerfull Blackcurrant smell, whereas Jostaberries just have the typical smell of leaves.
In my experience, my Jostaberries are only slightly bigger than Blackcurrants from the variety, Ben Connan.
Jostaberries are very big plants, as I described in my Web site. Mine is also up against a fence, and earlier this week, I was vigorously chopping back the new growth, to keep it under control.
PS. Interestingly, spell check wants to change "Jostaberry" to Gooseberry!!!!
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2007, 14:49:17 »
Real food,

What is the best way and time to prune jostaberries ?  Mine has only been in the ground a few months.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2007, 16:28:09 »
Anytime, with a machete... it just laughs it off...
Seriously it fruits next year on this years growth and some residual spurs on older wood... so you can cut otu any new growths which are growing the wrong way and crop off the others. I often crop by pruning out a whole branch and then stripping the berries and throwing the branch for a bonfire later...

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 19:29:11 »
Yes, as I said I was cutting back this year's growth as the plant was going berserk, and it is already a very big plant. I will prune again in the Winter, once the leaves have dropped and I can see what I am doing.
For your young plant, I would only tidy it and remove any crossing branches in early Winter.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2007, 10:29:48 »
This picture might help a bit with identification, excuse the mess  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2007, 16:46:18 »
I thought mine was a jostaberry, now I'm not sure. ::) all gone into the Summer pud anyhow.
My leaves smelled like ribes so I assume it's a blackberry with lovely large fruits.
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal