Author Topic: Greenhouse base  (Read 4068 times)

emilyreakes

• Not So New ...
Greenhouse base
« on: June 03, 2007, 22:42:52 »
Hiya,
I've just been given a free greenhouse!  ;D
It's come with a metal base... there's a concrete patch of ground on the lottie that I can put it on.. only thing is do I need to attach the metal base to the concrete? If so how?

Thanks for any help/tips!
Emily.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: Greenhouse base
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 23:48:57 »
lucky you - we drilled through the base of ours and screwed it into breezeblocks that are cemented to really heavy paving slabs. 

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 20:20:23 »
It might well be heavy enough to be OK but I would go with mc55 and drill holes

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:52:06 »
I'm planning on bolting mine to the blocks which have been cemented into the ground... then maybe cementing round the base (once glazed) just to be on the safe side!
Our Plot is really exposed too, so I have had the idea of drilling small holes in the uprights (one each corner) so in the winter I can tie `guide ropes` to it to try stop it wandering of down the allotment!!!!!!  :o

Janeee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 18:55:23 »
Our two greenhouses at home aren't attached to the base and we've never had any problems. On the allotment I have no idea, the homemade one definately isn't, but the last person that had the plot with the metal greenhouse was mad...all of the glass is glued/sealed together, they probably glued it into the ground.  ::) ::)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 19:47:19 »
If you want to get serious, Emily'....put the greenhouse on your cement base. Draw a line around it when you're sure you have it square. Lay one or two course of bricks on the concrete-dry. Test the greenhouse on the bricks. when OK, cement the bricks in place and screw the green to them. This not only seals the bottom of your greenhouse and helps keep the bugs and rain out,  it gives you extra height.
Stuck with that? Give me a shout.

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 19:51:30 »
go to a diy and get some thunder fixings they'llnever move
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 19:53:50 »
and if a windy site maybe a tube of clear silicone to make the glass xtra secure
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 22:00:49 »
If you want to get serious, Emily'....put the greenhouse on your cement base. Draw a line around it when you're sure you have it square. Lay one or two course of bricks on the concrete-dry. Test the greenhouse on the bricks. when OK, cement the bricks in place and screw the green to them. This not only seals the bottom of your greenhouse and helps keep the bugs and rain out,  it gives you extra height.
Stuck with that? Give me a shout.

I built a wall of concrete blocks 9" high, put the frame together and placed some 25x50mm wood between the frame and the blocks. I then drilled and plugged the blocks, fixing the frame down with brass screws (2 1/2" -12, the same as they use to fix toilet pans. It's been in place over 25 years now.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 15:23:42 »
We made a wall of breeze blocks, then flattened old pieces of aluminium frame and formed it into U shapes, put each leg of the U into the hole in the breeze block.
Then again with old framing we attached a  piece about 2 feet long to the greenhouse frame and put the other end in the breezeblock hole(went in about a foot and was bent at one end slightlly) When the whole thing was assembled, the breezebloch holes were filled with concrete.

It worked perfectly and is very secure.Let me know if you want a picture.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 14:16:14 »
Hi Jeannine,

I would be grateful if you could post a picture, not that I have a greenhouse or the possibility of getting one any time soon, but I do have a file of ideas, tips and tricks. One day when Santa is feeling generous I might get to put some of them into action  ;D ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 15:14:39 »
I will get you a picture as soon as I can, lottie is flooded right now, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 02:10:31 »
These concrete block walls -  Do they need a firm foundation like a couple of inches of concrete, or can you just stick 'em on firm soil ?
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 10:03:41 »
Baaaaaaa

Your best bet is to probably build your wall on a layer of slabs... cheaper then trying to lay a concreate foundation!
You could build them straight onto the earth, but any subsidance would result in the greenhouse bending, probably breaking the glass and twisting the frame!  >:(

This is mine...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:05:23 by Carls3168 »

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 18:11:42 »
My greenhouses are well screwed down onto the base....I saw one blow over and another 'explode' a few years ago during high winds.....heartbreaking for the owners
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 22:14:14 »
One course of bricks....should have done two.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal