Author Topic: Ticks - yuckie!!  (Read 1814 times)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Ticks - yuckie!!
« on: June 09, 2007, 22:51:14 »
Went to the stables this afternoon to get some manure and nettles, whew, the humidity was close to 100 percent.  I was glad to get home and relax in a hot radox bath with the T&M catalogue (as you do).  I noticed among all the scratches etc that I seemed to have a bite on my arm, bit red with a black spot on it.  So I scrubbed it, in case it was a bit of dirt - and it still didn';t come off.  Got out of the bath and inspected it with the magnifying glass - and yuck! - it had little legs and was attached!!!!

By coincidence I had got the frontline out for the cats earlier in the day - perhaps I should have done myself as well.

I soaked it in surgical spirit till it drowned and its legs stopped moving, and it came away easily, with no bits left in.  Doesn't half put you off your food when you've got a parasite attached to you.

:o :o :o
The Tuscan Beaneater

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Ticks - yuckie!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 23:19:44 »
Not as bad as having worms though  ;D

Good job you had some surgical spirit handy.  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 23:26:16 »
I use it for the ticks on the cats.  Because they are frontlined the ticks drop off after a day or so, but I usually give them a good dousing to help them on their way.  Nasty little things.  We had an Italian couple staying a couple of years ago and took them to the New Forest - guess who got the ticks!
The Tuscan Beaneater

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:14:36 »
My cat has had lots of ticks already this year and talking to a friend who had discussed it with a vet, the vet said he had seen more than ever this year so must be a bad year for them - ugh!

I have one of these and it does seem to work well:

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/information/tick_removal.htm

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:28:05 »
Last year, my dog had loads. She was the only dog round here to get them (or didnt the other owners notice/admit it?)

I didnt realise they were in Wales till then, as we had only ever seen them when we lived in bournemouth.

They are disgusting things. I can cope with the small dark ones, but the huge beige ones really turn my stomach. It was really horrible. I would be stroking her when my hand would feel something in her fur. I felt a bit sorry for her, but I avoided tickling her till it fell off. And then, another would arrive.

I wish Frontline was faster acting!! We bought a tic remover, but as her fur is long and dense, it always pulls some out with the tick. She recognises the colour now, and makes a run for it if I get it out of the cupboard.

Good tip about the surgical spirit. I'll go get a bottle tomorrow. No ticks yet this year, but I'm sure they'll pay us a visit shortly.

cj :)

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:07:13 »
My children are off on Scout camp to celebrate the 100years of Scouting, they are going to Austria.
On Friday we were told that the ticks in Austria carry Tick Bourne Encephalitis, and now lots of parents are freaking out saying that they dont want their children to go!
I am going to try to get them vaccinated, but as such short notice they will not have the full course, but better than nothing. Apparently its bad this year, as teh ticks were not killed due to a  milder winter.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 00:24:24 »
Tulippa thanks for that info. I have the older type of tick remover which squashes said tick and it takes an age to fall off. Our collie is often at the stables and occasionally comes home with a big fat beige jobbie.I shall purchase an O'TOM hook tomorrow (if I can find one ;D)
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal