Author Topic: Site Broken into  (Read 5219 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Site Broken into
« on: June 09, 2007, 18:23:13 »
Hi Gang,

Feeling quilty to have a day off the lotty to go to the cinema and generaly sleep in, relax and do very little. You can imagine my horror when i get an email telling me that the allotments have been broken into and my shed has been hit. My entire bed of cabbage has been pulled out but i guess this is bird rather than vandles as i forgot to put the netting back on.

Headded down to the plot and it looks like dispite i have left my good spade and fork out nothing (fingers crossed) this time have been nicked. In fact it looks like the only damage is a cut peice or twine which was holding the door closed. PHEW!

However my neighbors plot has been quite hard hit, they have taken 2 hammers ( one is a only blacksmiths hammer which has some sentimental value ) and they have taken a new hoe attachments for a wolf set. It looks like they also tried to steal his sythe and the wolf Cultivator attachment but these were found elsewhere on the plot. They also stole a box of cable ties which none of us can figure out!

So i watered my beds, replanted cabbage and have come home to call the police - do i expect them to do anything - well NO.

Is it a co-instance that a couple of 'known idiots' have just had there asbos ended so they can come back into the village, this happens around the same time as this break in and the last lot of break ins happened before the asbos were issues. Odd that.

Cambourne7

Going to cinema, feet up and not going near the allotments now till monday!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Site Broken into
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 19:10:31 »
They really pee me off. I just wish I could take the law into my own hands. I would put them in the stocks and smear all my smelly onions round their fizzogs and then to top it all I would pour armillatox over them. It's ok I have just finished treating the soil with same and it really gets up yer nose.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 00:30:49 »
hehe

Just been drowing our sorrows in the pub over the petty minded ness.

But the problem is that i dont think they would realise why they are wrong!

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 01:29:34 »
>:(Have had the same problem.  Vandals have been on our site for two nights on the trot.  Took a claw hammer from our shed and used it to break into any shed that was padlocked.   Felt really bad about it as we have only had the plot a few weeks.  The general consensus was that they were looking for resaleables, but as this a regular occurrence nobody keeps anything of value on site.  We were lucky though, none of the plots were vandalized.  Lucky, huh, sad reflection on what is acceptable in the society we live in today.
got a lottie got a life

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:36:53 »
car boot season we were told  ??? :o
so that's where all the cheap tools come from  >:(

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 19:50:24 »
I get fed up of this in the summer.  The Last 2 nights a group of 16 years olds have come into our allotment and done alot of damage.  They have chopped trees, broken into sheds / rolled sheds over and burnt what ever they can before being disturbed.

When disturbed they ran off and LET THEMSELVES OUT WITH A KEY!  If they get hold of keys from someone, there really is no hope.

I get so fed up of it.  The police really don't want to know as they have no proof....Is there anything that can be done?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 23:36:38 »
KP,

I do sympathise, they got in this time using pallets on our site.

hold an extordinary meeting and ask all the allotment holders to come with there key and see if anyone has 'lost' one.

Cambourne7

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 23:45:08 »
I have spent a lot of time asking myself why this happens and haven't yet come up with a worhwhile answer. I once asked a kid why he vandalised properties and he told me because he had nothing and was angry,he said it made him feel better.

All my new squash babies are almost ready to go out again and I am very nervous.

Someone went round our lottie a couple of weeks ago stealing £2 watering cans.

The worst one is a very sweet man who keep getting 2 windows broken on his greenhouse, he repairs them and they go again within days and always the same panes,it is like they are watching.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 00:31:15 »
Might be a good idea to suggest that he replaces the glass with perpex, it worked for us.
got a lottie got a life

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 00:32:39 »
He did that, they just roke differnt ones and kicked in the perspex
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 01:11:17 »
>:(It makes me so angry and there doesn't seem to be a solution.  I would like to put up an electric fence, but then we become the criminal.  It's so unfair.
got a lottie got a life

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 18:17:50 »
i spoke to the parish clerk and it looks like the village went nuts this weekend with lots of issues

- JCB hot wired and drove into a lake
- MUGA ( multi use games area ) was set fire to
- Allotment broken into
- Kids had a late night party in out country park which woke 2 streets up.

PHEW!!

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 20:44:00 »
I have spent a lot of time asking myself why this happens and haven't yet come up with a worhwhile answer.

XX Jeannine

Recipe.
Take.......lack of discipline in schools, and the influence of the so called Human Rights people, combine with no parental interest in what their horrid kids get up to. Most wouldn't even know (or be bothered) if you asked them what their offspring did in the evenings.

Add to that the violence on television (even in Kids programmes)and at the cinema, and in computer games/hand held games systems, and I think you get an idea of where society in general is heading.

Oh and don't forget a liberal sprinkling of " nothing else for the kids to do(when I was young we used to make our own entertainment........cops & robbers, cowboys and indians etc.), and stir well.

A recipe for a disastrous future, where nobody trusts anyone else.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 20:46:51 »
we have recovered some of the stolen tools which were dumped around the village.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 21:18:15 »
oh, good news, cambourne  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 21:23:42 »
yes this was something that had great sentimental value and is not going back to the site so i am told.

But i think this might just be a reckie for a bigger attack so i will be stripping my plot friday and will bring all my tools back up next week.

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 21:27:34 »
Rather oddly, when our shed got broken into, the only thing the kids took was cable ties. These didn't steal the radio or anything else. No tools left in shed to steal. But the Kids did scratch their initials "GM" and "UR MUM" in the plastic window.

There most black market value on cable ties!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 21:48:58 »
Some shops won't sell cable ties to teenagers as they are used in robberies ti tie folks hands togther.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 21:50:55 »
thats what i thought they might be used for.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 11:44:06 »

no parental interest

This is the problem - right there. Having worked in a primary school  I have come to the conclusion that lack of parental interest is the killer, socially, academically and personally.

Last night 4 young lads - about 9 or 10 stopped outside my plot ( it's right next to the fence) one looked at my girls and said, "That's not fair, how come they are allowed in" I explained that I was their mum and it was my plot. they looked pretty crestfallen and asked if they could come and help me some day. I said that they would have to bring their mums or dads down to check it was ok and maybe in the summer holidays i could find them some stuff to do. OH looked at me like I was mad but I figure if they are good kids it will out and if not then I take it on the chin.  ::) Yes, I'm soft, can't help it.  :P
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal