Author Topic: Is nothing sacred??  (Read 1511 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Is nothing sacred??
« on: June 09, 2007, 17:53:28 »
?

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Is nothing sacred??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 17:57:45 »
Nope! Meece ate me strawbs in GH ,honest, found droppings .

Hawkweed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 20:46:56 »
Squirrels ate the runner bean plants I'm growing in a large tub and those that had sprouted yet were dug out of the compost. Grrr how do I keep them away?  >:( >:(

I have also just discovered woolly aphid on my apple tree. I've read that painting them with meths should get rid of them. Does this work?

A tidy home is the sign of a wasted life

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 20:58:28 »
nope, I think not,  Slugs & snails scoff everything in their path, and what they don't munch the rabbits finish off ..... Out of 18 sunflowers I have 3 left.  :( The rabbits even eat the flowers off the potaoes!!  I've put in watch towers and barbed wire fences and pits filled with spears..........  ;D

Hawkweed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 21:00:14 »
It was squirrels, my some and his girlfriend watched them doing it.  >:( >:( >:(

A tidy home is the sign of a wasted life

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 07:22:03 »
hawkweed, they had some of my lilies in a pot last year, I put chicken wire over them, they grew through the wire..no squirrel problem  :)

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:32:09 »
As you can see from my separate thread, I have problems with animals eating my veg. Deer eat my beans, spinach, lettuce tops, celery and when they get bigger they will have a go at the bark of giant sunflowers. Also badgers have dug up my courgette plants and will make huge holes everywhere looking for worms - they are particularly fond of uprooting giant sunflowers. Rabbits will eat any small plants but they don't like lettuces - the opposite of what you would expect. I  haven't mentioned slugs but luckily don't seem to have any snails at all.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 09:36:38 »
Scrub with meths - not paint.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal