Author Topic: Pink potatoes  (Read 748 times)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
Pink potatoes
« on: June 07, 2007, 21:02:10 »
I've just cooked our second lot of Arran Pilots, and a couple of them, whilst looking fine on the outside, were a lovely shade of pink in the middle.  Why?  I didn't taste the pink ones as I thought it might be something nasty.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Pink potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 22:29:57 »
Pink is no problem Greenstar... green is.. some potatoes are red or blue all the way through!... probably stressed in some way.
 8)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 20:06:15 »
Accidentally bit into one whilst looking for munchies last night  - extremely bitter.  Not even a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit could take the taste away  ;)

What causes potatoes to be stressed?  These were my experiments from the pound shop - extreme chittedness!  That is, they had extra long sprouts all over them.  Not had a very good yield from them at all.  Although, the arran pilots I have from T&M's don't seem to be doing much either.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 22:09:38 »
If you had that dry 6 weeks just after you planted them they might struggle to put roots out... that is one kind of stress... losses of sap to aphids... virus (quite possible with shop bought non seed tubers...
 :-\

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:30:30 »
Cheers for that saddad.  I've got no idea why they might be stressed.  Dry spells?  I wish - I live in the West of Scotland!  I suppose it didn't rain everyday after I planted them  :-\

I think they must have just been poor quality seed spuds: they were Unwins', but very ropey looking.  As my good mother always says, you buy cheap, you pay dear.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal