Author Topic: Vandals  (Read 7461 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Vandals
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:40:13 »
Our allotment site in Erdington had a visit during the week. It all started when youths started throwing stones at the plotholders cars from the adjoining park and the usual jeering and jibing. The one young man nearest the fence had to pack up and go home in the end cos he was getting stoned. During the night 3 of the sheds had been tipped right over. I'm glad that we are down the other end but we still feel very intimidated by these yobs. Spent yesterday mornin helping to put some non drying wet paint on the fence (bloomin hard work it was). The bill came and went leaving us a number to phone whenever there was an incident. We are not expecting them to do much. I really think that the local authority should spend more money on looking after the allotments rather than wasting our money on other useless projects.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Vandals
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 16:52:56 »
so sorry to hear about the problems on your site, shirlton..it's a shame someone was hounded off his site, surely that counts as assault..hope the paint does some good  :)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 17:08:53 »
Sorry to hear this Shirlton, hope the paint works and someone gets very sticky, that might put them off for a bit....
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 18:06:26 »
sorry to hear what happened.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 22:16:45 »
Hope your both OK but I afraid the old bill are a waste of time, >:(  they are busy doing other stuff and come around when the culprits are normally gone, in Enfield at the moment there is a high presence of community police I have dealt with them and have a mobile number so we'll see how it goes.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:04:20 »
Don't get holdin ya breath Kev.
                             I want em saying

adamreith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:56:59 »
Dear Shirlton

Don't know your position exactly but there might be some things to try as well as the anti-vandal paint. Plant thorny hedges and encourage their growth against the fence (buckthorn) - Council might provide rooted slips as it is a conservation measure giving shelter to birds and insects etc. If there are houses around set up a plot-watch scheme with your Secretary's contact number, and win support by including a watch for nuisance bonfires; distribute leaflets round about asking for information on the vandals, and get the local press and radio involved. Get local comunity groups and individuals involved in cultivating and so add to support and watchfulness; arrange for regular meetings (three a year?) between your Association and the Council - there must be a relevant committee, use the meetings among other things to press for improved fencing (not just wire mesh);   Support Council activities (flowering boxes etc) to win public support, perhaps offer surplus produce to local groups or the public; expand membership of your allotment association to include the waiting list and hold meetings, discussion groups and talks on gardening matters; involve local schools in plot-to-plate schemes as part of their new gardening syllabus requirements - perhaps an after-school club?  there may be grants for that, and it increases the number of watchful eyes. Contact ARI for advice and support . Open days? Social group, trips to botanical gardens etc for anyone?
The more outward looking you are the more support and help you will get.  But then you probably are and I am teaching grandmother etc.

All the best with it

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 17:42:38 »
SHIRLTON: These sorts of stories break my heart - literally  :'(

I don't want to BELIEVE that anyone could possibly inflict that sort of misery on anyone. But I suppose it's the same as house burglary, joy-riding in cars etc.

I would never advocate CHOPPING THEIR FINGERS OFF THOUGH (just in case JRP is lurking!)

The people that commit this sort of crime need to be taught the value of positive emotion, recognition of emotions in others and respect for the feelings and property of others.

That's a hefty project to undertake. But I think that's where the penal system in the UK is seriously bum over breast.

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 19:10:41 »
We had a meeting this morning and we were all given a police number to ring. Apparently the yobs came back last night and one plot holder phoned them. The why arrived in 10 mins ,which is bloomin marvellous for this area. They cleared the park in 15 mins. We are meeting again in a fortnight (cos of peeps hols). and we are inviting the local councillor to attend and also the allotmentchap from the council. I am going to invite the local paper but I'm not telling anyone. It can be a surprise. We have been told to inform the Bill even for minor incidents so that they can build up a file. I think the only thing we can do is to have an 8ft solid fence put around , One that they cannot lever off with a piece of 3x2 wood and then put razor wire along the top. It's a sad world we live in ain't it when we have to resort to things such as these.
                             I want em saying

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 19:23:29 »
glad the police turned up so promptly, shirlton
this is the sort of fence we had to put up, shirlton..it cost all our grant, £4,500..it's worth it  :)
it was the only way to keep the little persons out  :o
notice, i'm trying not to swear  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 00:39:05 »
What kind of world is it when we have to fence ourselves in against bl**dy yobs and they maraud freely?
So sorry to hear of your troubles Shirlton, hope it's soon sorted.
Smile, it confuses people.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 07:26:11 »
Well manic thats the sort of fence we already have but the buggers lever the bars off and break the bolts or climb the trees behind the fence and throw from there. They shouted at the plotholders (mostly women). "the higher you buil it up the more we will break it down".They set fire to one of the ladies store pens where she keeps her polythene for ground cover and her canes and odds and sods. A chap who has recently taken on a plot right at the end had ordered some straw, but is now having second thoughts about it in case they fire it. I'm just wating for the day we drive on and ours is trashed or worse still our Bunjy's. The kids would be devastated. Fingers crossed all they have done so far is break the lock on her shed but not taken anything. Kiddies little trikes are in there and their chairs, Perhaps when they saw the littlies stuff they had a pang of conscience (who knows how their twisted minds work)Thank for the support all of ya,
                             I want em saying

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 08:05:30 »
We have  the same sort of fence as you Shirltonwe  but it is planted all round with prickly bushes and little trees,we have put virginia creeper in and Rugosa roses,there is another fence inside this one about 2 feet further in,I think it was the original one,it is wire and concrete posts,it gives us a bit of no mans land which we dump bricks and stuff in which we dig up, they can't be seen among the foliage. Vandals can't penetrate our bit and a lot or lotties are like ours but some neat folks have 'tidied' theirs so hence the weak spots.  I will find you a picture
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:11:23 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 08:08:34 »
Behind the compost bin you can see our boundary ,mixed in with the bushes  are the two fences as above
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:42:54 »
we've ran barbed wire around the top and planted rosa rugosa roses around, sold as barbed wire fencing that looks pretty..got me worried about it now, shirlton...hope you get sorted, the little sods !!  >:(

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 12:55:46 »
Hi

You need to be careful if you use barbed wire as if they cut themselves they can sue you.

Cambourne7

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 15:02:11 »
 ???
we'll have to take the chance  :(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 16:51:23 »
Thats the irony of it all eh! them little sods do  whatever they like and when we try to protect ourselves we get done if they hurt their poor selves.
                             I want em saying

Sigsy

• Not So New ...
  • South Shields Sand Dancer
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 18:00:21 »
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble,

But as cambourne7 said, I would really think twice about putting up razorwire or barbed wire, you are leaving yourself open to a position that might get you into more trouble than they would ever get into.  :'(

I bet the little buggers have 'Claims Direct' on speedial  >:(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 18:39:38 »
We are having a meeting on Sunday week and a rep from the department is going to attend. lets hope he can help us.
                             I want em saying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal