Author Topic: Too late for flowers from seed???  (Read 2321 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Too late for flowers from seed???
« on: June 06, 2007, 12:49:45 »
I have a lots of bare patches down the allotment and thought that some annual flowers might do the trick. Is it too late now to grow any from seed??? I already have some nasturtiums, some marigolds and zinneas but they are still tiny. Is it tool late to grow more of those? I have some seeds left.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Too late for flowers from seed???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 13:26:10 »
I think you will be fine with the Nasturtiums but it's probably a bit late for the other two - but what have you got to lose?  I sow Borage and Morning Glories direct in June and they soon romp away.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 23:13:00 »
Try Mirabilis. Sow now flower Aug. One of my favourites.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 10:26:51 »
Thanks for those suggestions. I had never heard of a mirabilis but it does look very pretty, i read that it has a nice perfume?? Wonder what it is called in french?? I will google it. Looks like a trip to the garden centre for that one.
Might try more nasturtiums then too.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 16:35:16 »
If you can't find it in France I can send you some Mirabilis seed if you PM me your details.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 16:39:42 »
I would have recommended Nasturiums and Morning glory... and probably Bi-coloured Runner beans like Painted Lady... which were originally grow as ornamentals!
 ;D

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 21:11:39 »
Thompson & Morgan have Mirabilis in their sale, and I think they deliver to France.

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/6729/1

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 09:12:07 »
Thank you for that kind offer, I think I have found what it is, it's called Belle de Nuit (Night Beauty!!!) here and is indeed quite popular, it would seem, it's pretty in any case. I will see if I can't rustle up some seeds here. Next year I will be a bit more organised with my flowers I think!! I will get some bulb types sorted out, as I would like to get in some dahlias, gladioli etc and a friend has promised me some Californian poppy seeds in the autumn. But at least it might not be too disgraceful this year  ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 17:09:40 »
Oh no problem, always happy to help out if I can.   :)  I'm glad you've managed to find some Belle de Nuit and I wish you every success with them.  They germinate easlily so they should be fine.   ;D

G x

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 15:44:04 »
I got Sarah Raven's new catalogue this week and she lists quite a few"Annuals to sow now" including Zinnia. Others are Cerinthe (so I'm sowing some more of those today), Euphorbia oblongata, Helianthus, Antirrhinum, plus of course biennials to sow now for next year- foxgloves, etc.

Must point out I don't buy at Sarah Raven's prices but the catalogue's nice to look at!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:19:05 »
I was surprised on the weekend to see that the nasturtiums have sudenly flowered! They are splendid, I shall grow them again next year too. I got my Belle de Nuit seeds but will have to plant them this weekend. It says on the packet that they flower thru till October!!!
I can't see any sign of my Zinneas but the English Marigolds seem to have sprouted so maybe I will get some colour after all. A friend gave me some ground cover cuttings back in April and they are doing very well, they are perennials but I haven't a clue what they are! I put some more sunflowers in two weeks ago and to my relief they have grown (the other 4 are now a foot high!!).
thank you for all those tips, I am not very successful with flowers but I am slowly learning ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal