Author Topic: Stock. I've never really had an answer to this.  (Read 7019 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Stock. I've never really had an answer to this.
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 12:11:58 »
Of COURSE!

But one does need a fall back position.

Oh, I see that Marigold say Vegetable Bouillon - Instant Stock!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 18:34:49 »
I think bouillon and stock are terms used to indicate similar things, with a rather broad brush approach.

The following is a good starting point for food anoraks such as myself ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_cube

Not to be confused with Court Bouillon ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court-bouillon

Hope this helps, rather than confuses ...

Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 18:42:41 »
Yes - in ever decreasing circles!!

Found one similar to that that I meant to post this am.

All of interest - to me! I still believe that we ought to know what we're eating.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 19:04:29 »
From the first link, I followed to the broth link, and extracted this comment ...

Stock is made with bones. Broth is made using meat.

I associate broth with bouillon ... unless it is identified as of vegetable origin.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 19:14:57 »
What a bicep!!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 18:32:30 »
there is absolutely no difference between boullion and stock they are the same apparently you just get different brands with different additives both are used to make stock. cubes are a little more convenient as you open them singly where as with  boullion you tend to open the whole jar and it has a limited life then boullion comes in both paste and powder/granule forms too. all in all cant beat home made

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 18:59:00 »
Going back to when I read "The Science of Food" about 10 years ago, so forgive grey-cell failure... MSG is perfectly acceptable as a flavour enhancer (and in fact occurs naturally in all meat - by combining with other Amino acids, it helps to determine the taste of all meats) - the trouble is when it is used as a flavouring (it has roughly 10 times the potency when mixed with other Amino acids). It is still labeled as an enhancer, and I reckon they separate it out into stock & bullion so they can put in twice as much thinking we won't notice.

Food labelling allows you to add whatever is in the ingredients naturally - so boiled fish can have a significant amount of MSG added.

I often use a small amount of a stock cube to bring out the flavour of a dull piece of meat - but far less than prescribed by the manufacturer. You really wouldn't know it was there if used correctly (well, my foodie friends can't, anyway!).

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 21:21:28 »

I often use a small amount of a stock cube to bring out the flavour of a dull piece of meat

Ollie - WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR MEAT???? 
The Tuscan Beaneater

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 09:24:33 »
Whenever I try to simplify something to bring it within my range of understanding, it always has hidden depths. But its fun!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 09:40:41 »

I often use a small amount of a stock cube to bring out the flavour of a dull piece of meat

Ollie - WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR MEAT???? 

Well, if we plan badly & leave it until Sunday, there's only supermarket stuff on offer. But otherwise, say you're doing a pot roast Lamb Shank, bung in a quarter of a beef stock cube (far less than the packet would tell you) & it will make the taste of lamb much stronger without bugring it up. I know a Michelin star'd chef who does this but would probably never admit to it (I spotted the cubes in her kitchen & laughed at her).

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 22:00:52 »
Ollie, your planning is cr*p. You have a farmers market in Guildford. Go there to buy your meat. Make friends with the stall holders. Use your freezer. Plan your meals in advance. We haven't eaten supermarket meat for about five years, and we can honestly say that each meal is "The Best". We NEVER throw away stuff because it's too tough, stringy or "dull".  If good husbandry has been practised, the meat is hung for long enough, then you will always get good meat. I am passionate about this, we never throw away food because it's not good, the only stuff I buy from the "English Mafia" is cleaning stuff (some) and pistachio nuts.  :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 09:21:43 »
Ha! Thanks Asbean. We are also lucky enough to have a very good "normal" market for fruit & veg. I know a couple of the guys on the farmers market... And we have half a Roe Deer (shot by my uncle on his fruit farm for worrying his asparagus) plus about half of half a lamb in the freezer from a farmer friend near Shere, plus some bits of Aberdeen Angus that I met when they were calves from near to Godalming... The salmon & sea trout also hogging freezer space sadly has to be flown in (well, posted) from North Uist, although I'm fortunate enough to have been to the Smoke House & met the farm owner.

I didn't make my point very well - all I was saying is that stock cubes have a place in the kitchen. And if you use the whole animal, some bits will be a bit dull compared to others. Also, we seldom know who'll be visiting on a Sunday until the day before, so planning isn't as easy as one would wish. I appreciate your concern for my lack of organisation. I do my best to blame the wife.

I agree with you entirely - esp. about hanging meat - lots of supermarket beef would be perfectly good if hung properly. Having said this, it's very hard to hang beef for more than 21 days, due to potential hygiene issues (according to a farmer I know near to Godalming), so me & apparently several good chefs always leave it in the fridge for a week before cooking (a tip given to me by aforementioned Michelin star chef).

We get nuts, cleaning stuff, baby wipes, cheddar & beer from them so are not as wholesome as you, but we're giving it a go... One day, maybe...  ;)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 11:19:39 »
Ollie - OK, sorry, your planning isn't really what I said it was!!  How about cooking lamb shanks slowly - don't use stock cubes - use red wine. We also use a soffritto which is finely chopped onion, carrot and celery, lightly fried then flour and fry the meat on all sides, then add 1/2 to 1 bottle of the red stuff.  (or one bottle minus a large slurp for the cook). Add a bouquet garni, cover with foil and cook at the lowest oven temperature, for about 8 hours.  You don't need to gut the meat - it falls off the bones.
The Tuscan Beaneater

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 11:45:25 »
Sounds good - but you forgot to bung in a bit of a stock cube! Everybody likes a good Lamb Shank now & again... oo-er, better not descend to the watershed... ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 13:40:35 »
That doesn't need a stock cube - believe me!

(BTW, off topic, sorry, but did you ever go to get my sister's manure?)
The Tuscan Beaneater

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 18:44:26 »
(BTW, off topic, sorry, but did you ever go to get my sister's manure?)

Remaining off topic - no, it's on my list of things to do... hasn't really been the weather for shovelling poo - not even your sister's stuff!

We're away for a week next week, I'll give her a call after that if that's okay...

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 19:42:41 »
 ;D ;D ;D It'll still be there  ;D ;D ;D

Have a good week away - hope the weather doesn't put a dampener on it  ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal