Author Topic: Poorly pooch.  (Read 2554 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Poorly pooch.
« on: June 05, 2007, 22:45:55 »
Hello

My Cavalier KC Spaniel has had a bit of a blocked nose for a while. Sunday, she started getting into difficulties breathing and stopped eating and drinking. We got her to the vets monday, and he said she had a chest infection. £48 later, we left, with Gypsy having 3 injections.

She has improved lots today, and we went back to the vets for a check. He's happy with her progress, gave her some oral antibiotics, painkillers and something to open her airways. The cost has now reached  the £60 + level, so any more treatment will be payed by Petplan (thank goodness). She has to go for another check up in a week to  see she is over it.

While there, the vet noticed 2 loose teeth, as they are growing too close together. That will be another £60 excess in a month's time. Gypsy also needs her booster at the end of the month, nearly £40.

I wish I had  decided to be a vet!!!!

cj :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Poorly pooch.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 22:48:24 »
Or a dog?

Well I am glad she is getting better, I hate it when they get sick, XXX and XXX for her Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 23:03:21 »
Thanks Jeannine.

I must admit I thought she was going to die yesterday as she was so ill. I got quite emotional, and spent most of the day watery eyed. She's wandering around the house and out the garden tonight, albeit chugging away with her noisy breathing. She's also making me feel guilty whenever I eat something again, with those huge, longing eyes, so she must be improving!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 23:27:13 »
Oh Caroline  I hadn't realised she was so very poorly, I am doubly glad she is a bit better today. I often wonder why we keep pets you know as they get right into our hearts and we suffer so for that. I shall be thinking of you both lots for a few days.  You have a good bawl, it does the world of good XXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 18:41:29 »
It's so worrying when they are poorly  :'( hope she's feeling better Carolinej.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 19:06:53 »
She's even better this evening, barking at anyone who dares to walk on 'her' field behind the house. She's still a bit wheezy, but it doesnt seem to be affecting her. Saying that, it could be the effect of the painkillers and stuff to open her airways. She's really good at taking her tablets..........as long as they are pushed into the middle of a corned beef ball ;D

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 18:34:30 »
Awwwww!!! I'm glad shes barking again  ;D sending her a virtual stroke! hope shes tip top soon

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 18:37:40 »
I'm glad she's on the mend - it's hearbreaking when they're ill and can't explain what's wrong  :'(  :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 21:05:34 »
Thanks both. The improvement has stopped at the mo, but she is happy enough. Still a few days of antibiotics yet.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 21:31:22 »
Caroline only just seen this thread, hope she continues to improve. As you know I also have a K.C.Cavalier, yesterday she was limping badly. I had started making some trellis and thought I might have left some nails on the path and she had trod on a nail/screw. Later in the day when Lorna came round she was dashing about again. Then this morning she was limping again so it seems it is the arthritis again. At least the vet said I can get a repeat prescription for her tablets so won't have to pay consultations fees each time.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 21:43:27 »
How old is she? Gypsy is 4, so no signs of arthritis yet, but she does get her knee out of joint occasionally, which makes her limp. Apparently, the operation available is not usually completely successful, so I am going to wait to see how she does.

We're off to the vets tomorrow for her check up. She is really well, but there seems to be a very quiet squeak from her chest, so we'll have to see what the vet says. Our vet has a KC cavalier too, so he really understands how these dogs are.

I hope your pooch is feeling a bit better now.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 21:58:22 »
I thought Gypsy was 4 remembered when we exchanged pics. Elsa will be 8 in September. I have been trying to adjust her diet hoping she will lose some weight. She has boiled chicken, I always remove skin and some Bakers complete. The lady we bought her from (Ipswich) was a real KC fanatic. I suppose dogs are like humans some have complaints early in life. When I move she is always one step behind me (even sits outside loo waiting for me ;D)
Good luck for tomorrow.
Lorna.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 22:51:35 »
Thanks Lorna.

I know what you mean about being followed. I never understood why people called their dog 'Shadow', till we had Gypsy.

I have given up listening to her scratching the door when I am in the loo. It's easier to just let her come in with me. All girls together. Now if she were a he, I'd have to come up with a different solution ;D

gypsy is still overweight, even though she lost a fair bit when she was ill. I think with her its more lack of movement than too much food. She has got to the point now where she wont even play with her 'raggy'. She is SO lazy :o

She enjoys her walks though, so we keep up the 2 a day.

I'm sure the vet will tell us off about her weight again tomorrow. Ah well, at least I know she's not the only chubby cav ;)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 22:47:16 »
Well, we got to the vets this afternoon, having booked to see the same vet, and we had to go to a different one. It was a bit annoying, as he didnt know how ill Gypsy had been. he read the notes and said that he thinks she may have had a bit of a chest infection. Aaargh >:(

He checked her chest, and it was clear but her lymph glands are up. So he looked in her mouth and said that she had a problem with her teeth. Is there no end to the powers of deduction of this man! He had just read all about it on the computer screen. I dont want to sound mean, but it really felt as if he was trying to look like he knew what had been going on, and how things were, when infact he was just getting it all second hand. At the price vets charge, you expect a little better.

The original vet said she would need to wait a month to have her teeth done , to give her time to recover, as she had been so ill. This one said we could do it immediately, as her chest was clear. Who do I go with? I dont want her in pain, but I dont want to risk an anaesthetic too soon.

Anyway, sorry to be ranting a bit. I just worry about my dog. I know it may sound crazy to some people, but she is my baby.

It is lovely to have her back to full health now. At the mo, she's in the conservatory, trying to catch the moths on the outside of the glass that are trying to get into the light. I dont think she will ever learn , and go outside to get them.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 22:50:04 »
Oh, just to add a bit more news, she has lost over 2 kilos during her illness, which didnt come back when she started to eat and drink again. She's just under 10 kg now, so the vet didnt tell us off....Hoorah ;D ;D ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 23:29:38 »
How annoying Caroline. That is the reason why I changed vets. The young lady who knew Elsa from the age of 8 weeks left the surgery. I wouldn't have minded but every time I went it was a different vet, all S African. Have nothing about S.Africans my sister-in-law is one but they must have all been locoms so never got to know your pet.
Crikey I wish Elsa was that weight!! Last weighed in at 12.6kg, far too heavy
I wonder if KC's have teeth problems? Elsa had to have 6 removed last year and 2 more look suspect.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 07:05:50 »
Lorna, what is the problem with the suspect teeth? Gypsy seems to be having a bit of a problem with the roots becoming exposed. My friend has a KC, but has never mentioned tooth problems. I 'll check with her, as you may be right that it is a problem they get.

Their dog, Amber, has been really slim, even though they feed it everything going. I was quite frustrated, as Gypsy was overweight although we watched what she ate. Now, Amber is getting quite overweight. I suppose it must be middle aged spread, as she is 4 too. It gets us all in the end ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 12:42:46 »
Caroline when she was last examind (re arthritis) the vet said that she had 2 teeth which were a little loose but didn't think it was necessary to remove them yet. That was quite some weeks ago so until they seem to be troubling her will follow vets advice. Don't want to rename her gummy :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 12:45:45 »
Don't want to rename her gummy

Not really a good name for a guard dog, that :-X ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal