Author Topic: hows your onions and shallots?  (Read 6549 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
hows your onions and shallots?
« on: June 04, 2007, 20:40:53 »
Hi there,

been down the plot to find the onions and shallots going wild with growth and thickening up nicely, nipped a few seed head of bolting red onions but bar that should be a good year for onions,

click here for pictures of our Impressive onions

hows yours? bigger? smaller? more bolt? or even the dreaded white rot?

other news this week, celery in, pumpkins in, brussels in, runners in, and dwarf beans in.

regards
lottieblogs

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: hows your onions and shallots?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 20:56:31 »
Onion sets planted Oct, on the small size but going to seed. Red onions growing nicely from seed not sure when they will be ready though.

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 22:11:38 »
Onions and Shallots were planted late, so smaller than yours, but looking great too. The onion seed are also growing, well either that or I have a line of fine grass just under an inch tall!!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 22:19:33 »
I grew Buntons Show Stopper, Bedfordshire Giant and Walla Walla from seed this year. They are all doing fine. I decided to try some in the greenhouse bed to see if they liked the extra protection, and they are looking like they will be whoppas! I just hope it wont get too hot for them soon and they run to seed.

Does anyone think that will be a problem?

cj :)

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 22:25:59 »
To be truthful I have *no* idea! I planted red onion sets, but only at the beginning of April, so am guessing it will be ages yet  :-\ No idea how long they take tho!

They are thickening up on top, about 12-18" long, but if I rummage just below the surface, its just like a purple extension of the thickness of the stem above ground?!!

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:48:58 »
It's my 2nd try at onions - they are doing much better than my first attempt - thickening and swelling nicely...

But they have all run to bolt!! Are Red Baron well known for this?  Or is there something I'm doing wrong?  I got all the flower heads early - so they should still be good onions? Yes?

They've also had a lot of slug attack - but they've coped okay - on the rainy days I've collected 50 or 60 slugs just picking them off the stems and leaves!

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 13:57:52 »
Apparently bolting can be caused by the sets going into cold wet soil - although as you're supposed to plant them round about Feb I don't know how you're supposed to avoid this.

3 or 4 of my red onions have bolted; I nipped off the seed heads while they were tiny and they're just doing their own thing now. I understand that the onions will be fine but won't keep so long.

My onions both red and white are still small - I guess up to now they have been concentrating on growing leaves, and now they've done this they'll turn their attention to swelling. (Or I will just have very small onions with lots of leaves.)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 17:43:03 »
shame red's start to bolt, got them quick enought they should still be good

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 20:02:02 »
It's true, the ground was cold and wet when I planted them in Feb - surprise surprise - or were you watching me Electric Landlady?  Maybe I could have pre-warmed with cloches / black plastic?

Well it's too late now.

I'll just have to eat them all very quickly.

queen of the cobs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 20:21:32 »
I've heard that it's worth putting down big panes of glass on your onion bed before sowing your sets to warm up the earth a little.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 22:50:00 »
Yeh my onions look like they are doing well.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 08:23:09 »
definitley looking good, there spuds arent bad too

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 13:01:07 »
After all my failures last week!  this week i have found out i have the dreaded white rot, all my japanease onions shallots and garlic etc covered in the white mold and also maggots :'( so been up today and pulled them all up and binned them... i can't believe how unlucky i've been :-[
If all fails then try again...

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 13:19:06 »
planted shallots and red and white onions from sets mid-April, I think. I spotted three onions that have bolted so will need to take off the flower heads, but other than that they seem to be doing fine! :o

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 16:29:25 »
After all my failures last week!  this week i have found out i have the dreaded white rot, all my japanease onions shallots and garlic etc covered in the white mold and also maggots :'( so been up today and pulled them all up and binned them... i can't believe how unlucky i've been :-[
can you plant some in troughs and tubs from seed, veggie..I could send you some seed if necessary  :)

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 21:22:47 »
Thankyou so much manicscousers, but im so short of room as it is! my plot is 150sq yds and i've seperated it into 3 beds for rotation! i have managed to get a small raised bed at the top for my carrots! I am so tempted to water in some jayes fluid once my lettuse and beans are finished! i know i should'nt but 8 years is a long time when you are short of space to start with! ???
I will try again with a few onions next year where my potatoes have been, just to see! and my brassicas will be where the onions have been this year!
I just can't believe in the space of a fortnight that i can be so unlucky!
but i keep smiling in the face of adversity ;D
If all fails then try again...

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 22:26:22 »
My onions and leeks are looking very good,I did around 100 onions from seed which should make great pickled onions that I'll give as xmas presents. (god am I sad?)

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 22:38:04 »
Mine are still quite small although no bolting yet. Shallots are dividing up nicely. Currently have 1 row of shallots and 4 of onions covered (again) in bloody weeds!

Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 22:57:05 »
Mine are still quite small although no bolting yet. Shallots are dividing up nicely. Currently have 1 row of shallots and 4 of onions covered (again) in bloody weeds!

Ahh weeds, if only the plants would grow so fast.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 08:46:11 »
If they did, the plants would be the weeds and we'd be forever grubbing them out where they weren't wanted! Mine are all weedy as well this year; work's been so hectic I haven't had a chance.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal