Author Topic: top tip required please  (Read 6951 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: top tip required please
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 23:33:18 »
The good old fashioned tupperware lettuce keeper did indeed work, are they (tupperware) still around??, i think Betterware do something on those lines. BB
it was most peoples night of freedom from the ankle biters, how times have changed. ;D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 18:42:02 »
FBG, thats great, OH is looking for a lettuce crisper , he loves the stuff. I can't believe this was one of my first posts, it seems like another life away ;D ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 23:37:07 »
AAAAArrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh  its that dreaded irradiation word again!  Supermarkets do not,  I do not irradiate any produce that ends up there.   In fact virtually every supermarket would immediately ban a supplier who sneaked irradiated food in because of the consumer concerns. 

The reason it does not go limp so quickly is good growing practice - not to much water or fertiliser so good strong cell structure, chilling very rapidly and maintaining a chill chain coupled with good variety selection - at least six types and sometimes many more over a season to exactly match growth characteristics to daily temperature and rainfall expectations.

In summary it is all down to good crop husbandry and good harvest management.  Oh...and plowing in the odd field of crop when getting it wrong!!

<<<<<gets down off soapbox  ;)
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 12:54:36 »
I'm sure I've seen a salad spinner/ crisper over the weekend.
It was probably in Lidl

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 14:01:24 »
I've found that not washing the lettuce before putting it in the fridge helps keep it fresher.  We just wash and spin what we need.  Any over stays in the spinner which is then placed in the fridge.  We keep the lettuce acceptable for a week that way....

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 15:55:08 »
going into Canterbury next week so will pop in Lidls then....at the moment he's put the lettuce in a plastic tub...and moaned like only a man can do about squashing it all in, so I told him to put it in 2. he huffed about that taking room up in the fridge etc...cor blimey why do men have to make things such hard work.... ;D ;)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal