Author Topic: Clubroot.  (Read 3764 times)

Tiercel

• Not So New ...
Clubroot.
« on: June 04, 2007, 13:05:13 »
When I took over my first plot about 12 years ago. The allotments had been going for years, I was advised by the other tenants that Clubroot was rife there, but there was a way round it. When you plant out your Brassicas add a squirt of washing up liquid to the hole. Does not need to be fairy or the dearer brands the cheap ones will do the job just the same.
I can honestly say that in the 8 years I had the plot I had very little clubroot and most of that was on Swedes I did try and put the washing up liquid in the scrape where i was sowing the seeds but it did not seem as effective as with the Brassicas.
Has anyone else heard of or tried this?
If it works, don't knock it!

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Clubroot.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 20:07:16 »
No its not something I have heard about or tried.

It does rather seem to deserve a place in the "Who first decided/had the courage to try" book.  A bit like the 'Balderdash and Piffle' progammes on English words.  Where do certain food processing/pickling/cooking, etc recipes come from?  You have to think in some cases - it was a brave soul who tried that!!

The only thing I remember from some gardening progamme years ago, is that clubroot is endemic in peat.  If you want to avoid clubroot, you should sow your brassica seeds in a soil-based compost, thereby avoiding transfering it to your plot.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 19:54:59 »
Never heard that one Tiercel, I stick to the good old lime, a mixture of potting compost, lime and soil into the potting hole.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

veggie perin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:27:19 »
Hi Teircel,
Are you 100% sure that it won't kill the plants?
tell you why I ask, quite new to allotments and saw chap at plot putting borax in for clubroot,so thought I'd have a go,did not know quantities and tried teaspoonful with every plant >:( and it killed off row of cabbages and row of brussel sprouts, row with nothing in is thriving (at the moment)  :)
wonder if the borax would have the same effect on marestail?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 18:12:23 »
If it works on marestail veggie give us a shout, and love the name.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tiercel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 11:51:05 »
Hi Teircel,
Are you 100% sure that it won't kill the plants?
tell you why I ask, quite new to allotments and saw chap at plot putting borax in for clubroot,so thought I'd have a go,did not know quantities and tried teaspoonful with every plant >:( and it killed off row of cabbages and row of brussel sprouts, row with nothing in is thriving (at the moment)  :)
wonder if the borax would have the same effect on marestail?

Hi Veggi
I am 100% certain that it does not kill the plants.

These seem healthy enough. Apart from where the caterpillers have had them.

Tiercel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 15:19:09 »
So much for boasting how good they look. Went to cut 2 today and they both had C R Fly. Ah well such is gardening :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal