Author Topic: Courgettes!  (Read 7148 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Courgettes!
« on: June 02, 2007, 15:09:45 »
Hello :)

it wont be long till we are all swamped under with courgettes ;D

Has anyone got any interesting ideas on how to use up the surplus, which will be a lot in my case, as I only use 2 a week to make lasagne at the mo ::)

cj :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Courgettes!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 15:44:53 »
fried into an omelette with onion, fast lunch  :P :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 17:19:12 »
Caroline, if you use search, and put in just the recipes board, there are 4 pages worth! :o :o :o
I still love them sauteed with onion, garlic, basil and fresh tomatoes! ;D
Looking forward to my as always glut! ;D (could be a while away as i haven't planted them yet! ::))
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 18:14:29 »
Thanks DP. I just had a look. There are plenty to be going on with there.

cj :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 23:08:01 »
more than plenty!!!
We seem to be courgette mad! ;D ;D ;D
But then we all do have far too many to cope with :-\ :-\ :-\
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 23:21:13 »

I tend to tread very rarely into the recipe section on account of all the wierd soups I come across. I opened this courgette thread to see what sort of terrible corgette soup was being offered. (I must like self-inflicted mental mouthwashing pain!)
Then I see other uses for corgettes....Mmmmm...Maybe not so bad to visit here again....someone give me a shout next April.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 13:39:01 »
 ;D

I can recommend the recipe for courgette mini flans! Very easy and tastes great, kids like them too!

;)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 14:53:03 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 17:52:30 »
My husband gave me a recipe book for Christmas called "What will I do with all those courgettes?". Will be trying them out this year so will post any good ones.

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 19:02:53 »
the quickest way i know to use them up is to make courgette bread or cheese and courgette muffins (yummy when hot)

also - with tomatoes, peppers, onions etc - make up and jar pasta sauce - really easy to make, and you know exactly what went into it! :)
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 22:27:04 »
My fave!!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm (not my recipie but Delias !)

Courgette and Potato Cakes with Mint and Feta Cheese

These quite brilliant little courgette cakes used to have to be fried, which is tiresome when you have much to prepare for a party. However, we have tried baking them in the oven, which works a treat.
Serves 12 (makes 16 cakes – one per person, plus a few extra)
6 medium courgettes (weighing about 1 lb 8 oz/700 g in total)
4 medium Desirée potatoes (weighing about 1 lb 8 oz/700 g in total)
4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 lb (450 g) Feta, crumbled
4 spring onions, finely chopped
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 oz (50 g) butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and freshly milled black pepper
* Click an ingredient to find out more
You will also need two baking trays, each measuring 10 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35 cm).
First you need to grate the courgettes coarsely – a food processor is good for this – and put them into a colander. Then sprinkle them with 2 level teaspoons of salt to draw out some of their excess moisture and leave them to drain for about an hour, with a plate or bowl underneath to catch the juices.
Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes and place them in a very large saucepan, with a little salt. Pour just enough boiling water over them to cover them, then simmer gently with a lid on for 8 minutes to parboil them. After that, drain them and leave them aside until they're cool enough to handle. Then peel them and, using the coarse side of a grater, grate them into a large bowl and season with more salt and some freshly milled black pepper.
When the hour is up, rinse the courgettes under cold, running water, squeeze out as much moisture as possible with your hands, then spread them out on a clean tea cloth and roll it up to wring out every last drop – this is very important, so the cakes are not wet.
Now, add the courgettes to the grated potatoes, along with the spring onions, mint, Feta and beaten eggs and, using two forks, lightly toss it all together. Next, divide the mixture into 16 and shape into rounds about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick, pressing them firmly together to form little cakes. They don't have to be very neat – it's nice to have a few jagged edges. Then lightly dust the cakes with the flour.
To cook them, first pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C) and also pre-heat the baking trays. Meanwhile, melt the butter and oil in a small saucepan, then brush the cakes on both sides with it. When the oven is up to heat, place the cakes on the trays, returning one to the top shelf and the other to the middle shelf for 15 minutes. After that, carefully turn the cakes over, using a palette knife and a fork, swap the positions of the trays in the oven and cook them for a further 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 22:31:26 by Biscombe »

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 14:08:27 »
I love mediteranian tarts, very tasty and easy.

Shortcrust pastry (home made or from the shops)
1 medium courgette
1 medium red onion
1 medium red pepper
250g feta cheese
2 table spoons tomato puree
1 clove of garlic

Chop up veg into tiny pieces, crush garlic, grate feta, stir together with puree.

Make the pastry tarts and fill with mixture, bake in the over at about 200 until pastry is golden and filling is cooked - about 15 - 25 mins depending on the size of the tarts.

Yummy.

Helen 

saljo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 09:12:50 »
coarsely grate loads of them - cook slowly over low heat in frying pan  with garlic and  butter - stir into spaghetti  ;)

Janeee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 19:05:09 »
Last year we had caugette pasta, think it was cheesy too! We left them too long and had sooo many marrows, but we cut them in half, scoops out the seeds and stuff and put I think it was mince, tomato pureé, onions and stuff like that...they were really yummy :)

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 11:44:07 »
My fave way of using courgettes is from River cottage cookbook.

Slice and fry in olive oil ( after sprinkling with salt to get out the excess water) till soft and browning.
Then  add grated parmesan cheese and a couple of tbspoons Creme fraiche, let it bubble up and mix through, then serve on pasta
Yumm
Terri

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 18:19:07 »
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm  :)

This makes me want to encourage my 1st courgette to fruit!

By the end of August I'll be wanting ways to get rid of 'em  :D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 18:55:34 »
I have a recipe for Courgette Crust Pizza, the dough is made with  grated courgette,eggs and flour,baked for a while, then cheese and stuff put on and baked a bit more.

Another one for Quiche.

A quickie...Mix equal amounts of radish and courgette,blend with sour cream and dunk fresh crusty bread in it!!

I also have 2 good relish ones,one sort of like a piccalilli, the other one is silialr but without the yellow.

I have courgette and Corn muffin

A super spiced layer cake with lemon cream cheese frosting.

Have others but these are my favourites after the regular stuff we do with them

Can post recipes if you wish.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 19:43:49 »
Yes please, I'm in for a glut.  Must be something in my planting. ;)
got a lottie got a life

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 00:49:33 »
Courgette and King Prawn curry....to die for....! ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 19:02:05 »
Last glut we had we were given the recipt for courgette soup.  It was quite nice, peppery, but the courgette season is not the season for soups.

They are also nice sliced and fried in batter.

:P :P
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal