Author Topic: Growing Hostas from seed  (Read 2432 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Growing Hostas from seed
« on: May 30, 2007, 21:00:42 »
Has anyone had any success with growing Hostas from seed?  I was sent some called 'Tall Boy' and advised to plant them in a cold frame in spring.  There is no sign of anything yet.  Have I done something wrong or am I just impatient?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Re: Growing Hostas from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 21:09:32 »
The ones I sowed in a tray indoors germinated in about 2 weeks and I didn't do anything special to them. I think it might still be a little cold at night outside for them, so I would probably wait a while before giving up. They don't come true from seed, so your 'tall boy' might not have similarly sized offspring. The slugs didn't seem to mind when they ate them all, though  >:(

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 21:13:33 »
Ah right, thanks Ceratonia.  I'll worry about the slugs if I ever need to.   ;)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 21:49:06 »
I've always sown Hosta seed in the autumn and left them outside until they germinate, usually feb-march. Hosta requires stratification for good germination so you may like to try wrapping the pot up and placing in the fridge for a few weeks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 22:37:34 »
i've never tried Georgie so I'd be fascinated to know how you get on. I love hostas but always cheat and buy babies!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 22:39:47 »
Right, they have got until July before they get bunged in the fridge.   ;D  I'll keep you posted.  :)

G x

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 23:18:49 »
Did succeed in germinating Hostas in the spring and producing some good plants, but best germination was from an autumn sowing and leaving the pot exposed to the elements overwinter.
Because Hostas are so promiscuous there is no guarantee that the offspring will be anything like the parent plant. From a packet of seeds only expect to get about five different types and none will be very special.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 15:54:21 »
Thank for all the replies.  One more question if I may?  If I need to go for an autumn sowing does the seed have to be fresh or will the seed I got earlier in the year still be okay?

G x

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 18:03:40 »
Maybe Hostas are like some other plants and need to be started from fresh seed. As soon as the seed is ripe put it into compost and put the pot in a shady place to leave overwinter.
However, I guess seed harvested earlier in the year would be OK especially if stored in cool dry conditions.
The problem with bought seed is that the only date they have on the packet is a 'best before date' and 'packeted in the year'. Nothing about harvest date so some seed could be getting on a bit before we even get it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 09:46:01 »
I tried some; a couple even germinated, then I lost them. I'll try again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal