Author Topic: fruit growing  (Read 1415 times)

ianbren

fruit growing
« on: May 30, 2007, 18:24:52 »
has anyone grown fruit trees, ie lemon and grapefruit from pips in greenhouse

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: fruit growing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 18:33:46 »
I once got a lemon pip to germinate but the plant didn't survive kitchen windowsill conditions. Don't have greenhouse so wouldn't know if that would be better.  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 18:42:28 »
I was not dedicated enough for something that grew that slowly ,they were okay for a couple of years
then did not do much.Loquats on the other hand,I found much better ,bigger,stronger there is a great example
at Bristol zoo.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 18:51:10 »
Evening janbren
    Iv`e grown lemon and orange trees from pips, i usualy chit them with damp kitchen roll somewhere warm and when the shoot shows put them in a 2in pot of compost.
     I`vekept them for 2-3 years until i got a bit bored with them they seem to end up a scraggly little plant, i gave them away to friends and family and they never seemed to have much luck with them. I did try my best though. 8)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:01:16 »
have a couple of year old pear grown from pip.

Also 2 cherries and either a plum,peach or nectarine (can't remember which now!) just sprouted earlier this year, will try and post some pics if I remember...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:10:43 »
I have a pomegranite just started  a papaya and dragon fruit. XX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 01:13:40 »
dragon fruit? mmmmmmmmm. only had these once before - gonna get one this week now from tescos and plant the seeds/pips!  ;D

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 13:12:18 »
My mother-in-law grew a lemon tree from a pip in her heated conservatory. It produced lemons and moved on to a huge pot, they left it behind when they moved house.

I have grown apple trees from pips, but there is little point any resulting apple normally has a poor taste, best to graft a cutting.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 13:28:25 »
Not quite what you are asking about, but I sprout avacado stones by sticking three matchsticks ( or unbent paperclips if I'm in the office) & susspend them over a jam jar with some water in the bottom, so that the "bum" of the stone just sits in the water.

No chance of getting any fruit, but they are handy fast growing foliage plants (trees) with nice big leaves and not fussy.  You have to pinch out the top otherwise they go in a spindly staight line for the ceiling.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 14:33:05 »
I have grown several Almond trees frum the nuts but never had any Almonds on them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 14:34:44 by budgiebreeder »
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 22:15:33 »
I've just germinated some Guava and Custard Apple (Cherimoya) seeds. They're outside now in the mini-greenhouse and doing fine - surprisingly tough, given the recent weather.

Apparently Guavas flower in the second year from seed and fruit easily thereafter.

I've also just got my hands on a second Feijoa (pineapple guava). The first one flowered last year but couldn't set fruit on its own, so now the two shrubs will pollinate each other and I might get some viable fruit this year.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 23:05:45 »
ok pics as promised:

1 - Pear (from Pip in 2004 or 2005)
2 - Two Cherries (stones from last year)
3 - Not sure - either a plum, peach or nectarine (planted same time as cherries last year)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 23:08:34 by Spooky_uk »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 23:41:19 »
I have grown dwarf pomegranates from seed...
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal