Author Topic: potato- bitter- is it dangerous? help asap please!  (Read 1544 times)

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
  • Just got my first plot!
potato- bitter- is it dangerous? help asap please!
« on: May 31, 2007, 19:59:56 »
hello, just tucked into the potatoes i picked earlier and some of them are tiddly tiddly. one of the tiddly ones, by the time i ate it, tasted very very bitter then burned my throat- what is it? they are not green, is it just that its too little, or have they got arsenic lol! help please!
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: potato- bitter- is it dangerous? help asap please!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 20:26:43 »

one of the tiddly ones, by the time i ate it, tasted very very bitter then burned my throat

It will be because the potato hasn't really formed you were basically eating roots!!

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 20:37:21 »
I wonder if you had eelworm. My book says it can cause "potato sickness", but no more than that. Or wireworm - more common in recently cultivated land. I don't think either of these will do much - slight upset tummy - but lets see what others think.
Chantenay.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 20:58:37 »
I remember eating tiny bitter home grown potatos when I was a kid and I'm still here .......................... be it with a GIANT POTATO LIKE HEAD!!!!

;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:51:26 »
Taken from: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/concen/specif/fruvegtoxe.shtml

"Several different glycoalkaloids are produced naturally by potatoes, the most common being solanine and chaconine. Low levels of glycoalkaloids produce desirable flavour in potatoes. However, exposure to elevated levels of glycoalkaloids when eating potatoes can cause a bitter taste or a burning sensation in the mouth - indicating a state of toxicity. Glycoalkaloids are not destroyed by cooking; even by frying in hot oil. The majority of this natural toxin found in potatoes is in the peel, or just below the peel. Greening of the potatoes may be indicative of the presence of the toxin. Red skinned or russet potatoes may camouflage the greening.

Consumers should avoid eating potatoes that show signs of greening, physical damage, rotting or sprouting. Potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place at home, such as a basement, and away from the sun or artificial light. Wash potatoes before cooking and peel or cut away green areas prior to cooking. Potatoes with pronounced greening or damage should be discarded. If potatoes taste bitter or cause a burning sensation after cooking, do not consume them."

You still alive?!?!

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
  • Just got my first plot!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 18:05:44 »
 ;D pleased to say I survived! i hung around on the site for quite a while then gave up- the rest were fine, but we did throw the tiddly ones. never again!  I was just being impatient anyway they should be full sized ones.

thankyou thankyou for your replies I was a bit worried there last night getting paranoid waiting to collapse lol

ah this gardening lark is a laugh a minute!
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 18:08:50 »
Just for curiosity,how small were they, we often eat the first  ones  not much bigger than large grapes, smaller than a walnut anyway.This is a bit worrying.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 18:25:27 »
I LOVE to eat the 1st baby potatoes. Are they poisonous then?

My Father-In-Law Jack always watches me like a HAWK when the potatoes flower and follows me round with a big stick in case I dig them up. It's quite a sharp stick too  ::)

Oh no  :( Don't tell me I can't sneak up to the lottie tonight and dig a few up whilst he's watching the England match  >:(

BAH!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 18:43:55 »
Just when do we dig em up then?

Mine are flowering - so I was gonna have a peek next week to see how they are doing?

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 19:33:58 »
These are the ones we are having at dinner tonight,10p coin to show size. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 19:38:40 »
Jeannine. What time is dinner and where do you live.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 19:44:43 »
2 minutes, they are just ready...signing off.XX Jeannine

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 20:51:57 »
I had a first dig at mine today since there were a few flowers, but found very few spuds, so will try to be more patient! Couldn't believe how dry the ground still was, even after the rain. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal