Author Topic: squash stems  (Read 1937 times)

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
squash stems
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:34:11 »
Some of the stems on my squash have splits in them which are quite large and open leaving only about 50% of the stem circumference left,i.e like a cresant shape,do you think they will be ok? :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: squash stems
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 15:58:04 »
we've got one the same, I think Jeannine brought this up recently but I can't find the thread, maybe she knows what the conclusion was..saying that, the growing tip looks ok so, for now, I'll see how it goes  :)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 17:03:02 »
Snap,
Do not worry, the photo shows the same problem on the 7th May, I planted the split part under the soil and it has grown and has the first flowers opening. The stems, like tomatoes will grow roots.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_squash_butternut.html

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 20:15:40 »
Yes, it is wind damage.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 20:23:38 »
It's not wind damage,they were like it before they left the green house.

Snap,
Do not worry, the photo shows the same problem on the 7th May, I planted the split part under the soil and it has grown and has the first flowers opening. The stems, like tomatoes will grow roots.

Wow,that looks just like mine!I was thinking of burying the stem but wasn't sure as a couple of my cucumbers got base rot when they were planted slightly deeper.I will try the burying  the stems,thanks a lot for the advice. :)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 09:02:55 »
I had the same problem. In my case I accidentally snapped the stem when planting mine out at the lottie. It was barely attached but I put some tape around it and planted it anyway. That was last Saturday and it's still alive. :)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 09:18:56 »
BU**ER!!!!

I snapped a couple of stems lanting out last weekend & slung em in the compost.  Had no idea they might survive.  More seeds in the pot to replace, but dash it all, if only I'd known.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

real food

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 19:58:04 »
Now that you have told us that the stems had split in the greenhouse, I think that the most likely cause would be accidental twisting of the stems while perhaps watering or moving them.
If it happens after planting, then it is the wind rocking the plants back and forward. I now protect my squashes after planting, by covering them with a cloche or fleece, to prevent such damage.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 20:05:00 »
It was not wind damage and was not due to twisting as it happened on two varieties only, Patisson Orange, a squash and Longue de Nice a courgette.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_courgettes.html

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 22:16:35 »
This happened to mine a month ago. On Jeannines advice I wrapped the stems in foil and it worked. All 3 plants seem to be doing well.
Smile, it confuses people.

real food

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 22:22:00 »
I observed the damage on First Taste and Red Kuri, soon after they had been planted out, some four years ago. In my case, I am confident that it was wind damage, and it has not happened to me again since I started protecting them in their first few weeks outside, as previously described. The site is a bit exposed and wind damage to plants is quite common.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 23:01:42 »
Wrapping them in foil prevents insects getting in and  making the situation worse, the stem will continue growing  and it will grow thicker and stronger all the time.The split won't close the  but cut edges will heal , you can just leave it but the tiny slugs that live in the soil love split stems, earthing them up also works as they will re root but earthing them up also enables the tiny slugs to get in the stems easier.It becomes a judgement call really, it is hard to advise one way or another, I leave mine alone unless very split, the plant can absorb nourishment if the stem is damaged. I would certainly earth up if the plant was really badly damaged as you would have nothing to lose, if  barely damaged I would leave it alone, and if somewhere in the middle I woud foil it.

Cause can be wind, rough handling  or disease  or none of the above, it is just a happening in squash,I find it happens more if the plant is growing very fast and you can lessen it  by planting direct into the ground  rather than starting in pots ,  the plant grows  stronger that way from the start and the roots go deeper, but weather restrictions prevent us doing that most years with  a lot of squash.

That is my exerience.

It can easily happen in a greenhouse. 

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal