Author Topic: Unconscionable amount of this this year.  (Read 7933 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: Unconscionable amount of this this year.
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 07:18:23 »
OK I admit it, I've got the yellowing too.  got quite a few trusses, so if i don't like the look of a leaf, I just chop it off !

No doubt I'll find out come fruiting whether it's something bad ... or not.

8)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 21:22:07 »
I wonder if someone can tell me what the problem is with the second leaves in Tim's photo.  Just noticed I have this (but not the other).

Thanks.
There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 05:50:54 »
This was Bayer's reply "  The leaves look like they are suffering nutrient deficiencies.
they distinctly yellow leaves would perhaps indicate nitrogen deficiency and the purple leaves with the yellow vein areas of the leaf would indicate a magenese deficiency with often the older or more mature leaves being affected.
"

Haen't heard from Westland yet.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 06:35:26 »
Nettles at the ready then !  Or I might splash out on some seaweed if I can find a supplier !
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2007, 08:40:30 »
Nettles at the ready then !  Or I might splash out on some seaweed if I can find a supplier !

If you do give me a shout i wouldn't want to tempt fate just yet as mine are fine, but a splash of seaweed would be good.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2007, 10:20:17 »
Tim   wrote"This was Bayer's reply   The leaves look like they are suffering nutrient deficiencies.
they distinctly yellow leaves would perhaps indicate nitrogen deficiency and the purple leaves with the yellow vein areas of the leaf would indicate a manganese deficiency with often the older or more mature leaves being affected. "

The "more mature leaves being affected  casts a bit of light on it Tim" ..What we have found is that stuff germinated OK, potted on OK Didn't show any signs if anything being amiss till plants were growing on . Then a bottom leaf or  2 looked sort of not right etc eventually the whole plant looked sick with the  symptoms as you describe ..
Despite all that we have tried from seeing the  first signs as in foliar feeding etc it ain't cured it .We have found the plant wont take them in ..
The affected  plants   have remained  near useless, looking a right sorry mess and quite a lot have  keeled over entirely ...
This has happened to a few of us but not to others on the site so we looked round for a common factor. What we have come up with so far is this.
All of us that have suffered   in different degrees seem to  have used the same general purpose compost this year ..It was new one to us,  the allotment society bought a load in and it was also being sold locally by a few garden centres etc ..
There's four of us with adjoining lotties that sort of grow plants for each of us as I will grow one variety of say asters or broccoli and others will grow differing ones which we all share about .Three of us have used this medium this year .The old guy that didn't but stuck to his usual stuff ..Upshot is ours have been affected his hasn't so far ..We have hanging baskets quite a lot of bedding plants all in trays and potted on  ready for going out which we keep looking at with perhaps a paranoid eye now ..
The maddening thing is it don't seem to show till plants are well on their way and it seems by then it's too late..
As a footnote to it being adverse wether conditions it has affected cucumbers  and toms etc which have been grown in a heated greenhouse ..
It ain't all doom and gloom some stuff seems to be OK ..
I hope this post keeps running as it will be good to see the outcome of all this ..

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:24:40 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 12:05:40 »
What's the space at the bottom for??

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 12:14:32 »
It's for Drainage, Tim!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 14:47:38 »
GROWMORE. 1, Did you use this compost to start of your seedls, then potting them into the same compost.
2. It has only affected your tomato,s
3. What do you store in your greenhouse.

Davy
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal