Author Topic: rotivating yes or no?  (Read 4864 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: rotivating yes or no?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 22:04:51 »
I've been digging by fork today and managed to fill an old compost bag with couch grass roots from an area of only 8ft by 3ft.  :o
Rotovating would have chopped all that up and made it a nightmare to get out.
I also removed a sieveful of stones.

So I would definitely go for digging by hand.

I'm digging a bit then planting a bit, otherwise I won't get anything planted.

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 13:02:08 »
Mares tail is he bain of my life, i'm filling bags and bags of the stuff wether it be the black roots or the top growth its everywhere!

its so fustrating when you get a good row of something coming up and all of a sudden you get mares tail popping up through it, and its always at the base of the plant whatever it may be!

All i do now is keep diggng it out or chopping it back if i have stuff set, unless there are any other ideas

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 18:40:26 »
I took on an over grown lotty last year! the dandylion roots were like super size carrots and totally covered the plot! i did not rotovate as i believe it would have made it ten times worse! i pain stakingly dug bit by bit and so far so good ;D
If all fails then try again...

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 21:55:32 »
I had an allotment at the previous address.  I tried to dig that and like everyone ended up with bags and bags of bindweed.  However, there was one brilliant plot there and when I asked what the owner had done i was given the full run down

It seems that he went most evenings for about an hour and just dug the ground.  This was done by piling the soil up in one place.  he was also there at the weekends and each visit he either added a bag of horse manure or a bag of sand (the soil was clay).   Once he had dug out one spit he took the soil down another level and put the soil on the pile.

he then moved the pile to one end of the plot so that he could dig underneath it.  he then moved the pile to the other end.  Sort of mixing it up and taking out any big stones.  I suspect he also took out any weed roots that were still there.

I understand that this took up the best part of 12 months but when he started to grow veges,  well it beat the pants off anyone else in the allotment.  Also he did not dig the garden again but just used the hoe.

So if you have the time, horse manure, sand, muscles and can wait- well you know what to do.

By the way he was working on the M25 at the time driving one of those earth moving machines.

so happy digging i think.

Bill Door

Jenfur

• Quarter Acre
  • Eaton Bray, Beds
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 22:43:44 »
Man you know what? I wanted to do mine all by hand but was so anxious to get planting, and the ground was so hard, that we rotovated most of the plot. I'd lovve to say if we got all the weeds out of ours that would be it, but they are all over the unused plots as well and will probably seed/run into ours again anyway!! So  I prefer to at least be able to pull the roots out of the ground as we can now after rotovating :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 22:49:05 »
My first plot full of marestail I rotovated. I spent the following year digging out 10x as many as there were the year before I had rotavated. Lesson learnt the hard way.  :( :( :(

On my new plot: having spent most of last year painstakingly digging marestail and other stuff by hand I am now so pleased I did. I get the odd one poking through here and there, but with 10 minutes checking & weeding three times weekly - pleased to say it was time well spent.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 15:43:27 »
Why do they always come up in the middle of my bloody carrots >:( :'( ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 16:02:35 »
I did a bit of all suggestions when I took over my plot last August....!! ;D

I walked over the plot and dug out the docks and dandelions by hand as best I could.

One part with bindweed I cut off the top growth and covered with carpet for eight months, and used it as a construction area. Now covered with a thick layer of manure ready for squashes soon, very little regrowth so far.

The riddled with couch grass area I sprayed with Amcide, waited  6 weeks then dug over the areas where I was making raised beds, removing the couch roots as I went. These beds had 3 bags of mushroom compost rotovated into them.

The other side of the plot was dug over bit by bit as I moved various plants to other areas, thick mulch of manure, which was rotovated in in March just before potatoes planted. There are a few bits of couch that keep popping up, but nothing like it was before.

The choice is yours! ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 16:09:17 »
Can someone please clarify the couch grass 4 inch thing please.Does it mean if I have couch grass and cut it down before it gets 4 inches high it will die off??

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 16:12:03 »
In theory, yes. It may take repeated attempts before it dies off...it's tough stuff!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 16:21:16 »
That sounds too easy though, so need to get this right,if I chop it off before it gets to 4 inches and I do it regularly,it will die.

Am I right?

Anybody know how long,would it die off in one season if I was really dilligent?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 16:46:41 »
Don't know, someone near me tried it on their plot but only rotovated twice, and it has mostly all grown back...... :-\

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 17:30:51 »
FIL is toying with hiring a heavy duty one for his plot as he is finding it hard going (he had a hernia op earlier this year) & has suggested that we share it which DH is very keen to do as our plot is very uneven & as he is doing all the digging atm Im inclined to let him ;D...but we have 2 fairly large patches of horseradish in amongst the couch & really dont want them rotatvated so will probably get him to remove most of them first or get him to steer round them ;)

Saz

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 20:00:07 »
Many years ago I planted a block of sunflowers (don't ask me why) on a plot that was completely infested with couch and bindweed. This block was the entire width of the plot and square say roughly 8m x 8m and the sunflower seed was from the petshop for feeding the birds. I was expecting these to grow to about 6' high but they all made at least double that. When the patch was cleared in the autumn, the soil was completely bare and free from all traces of weed. Maybe it was the lack of sunlight, maybe lack of water or perhaps sunflowers are toxic to weeds. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 20:57:31 »
Jerusalem artichokes, which are an edible sunflower, did much the same to weeds on part of my plot. I think they just shaded them out, but I may be wrong.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 21:30:43 »
We have a very large lovely bit that is completely couch grass free, it is where we did the bonfire on Guy Fawkes night, the only time of the year we are allowed one,the ground is smashing there.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 16:22:58 »
This year I moved plots.

My old plot did not have any couch grass.The reason it didnt have any was because I spent many hours on my knees digging the stuff out until eventually(after about 3 years) it had all gone.

My new plot has got couch grass in some places.....guess what i will be doing for the next 3 years?  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal