Author Topic: Finally some pics of my lottie!  (Read 1590 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Finally some pics of my lottie!
« on: May 29, 2007, 14:19:00 »
I know that some of you can't wait for some pics of my place! Now you can see what I mean when I say it is really messy! Still, now at least I have some plants to show for it all. But the edges are pretty much "undefined" and in winter I will really have to get around to paths that are not made of carpet. Anyway, here goes:
The overall view:

My lovely first gooseberries:

The garlic, planted in February:

and the tomato/squash (courgette, pumpkin, melon, gherkin) patch: this was a week ago after days of pouring rain

Afraid that it's not so pretty as a picture as most lotties but hopefully the veg testiness will make up for it  ;D (in a couple you can see the old folks' gardens behind, with neat rows and soaked in roundup ha ha)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: Finally some pics of my lottie!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 14:39:39 »
looking pretty good to me, antipodes!
if you think your plot is really messy, you should see mine ::) ;D

hope you're not still getting hassle from the straight line brigade >:(
some people just have too much time on their hands!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 14:42:58 »
Ha ha I have skillfully been avoiding them! I guess now that there are enough plants on there, there is not much they can say. I'm sure the tarpaulin must be cheesing someone off though. But think of all the lovely crumbly soil underneath to plant my beans in! that area is plagued with bind weed so I am hoping that the covering will spare me a lot of pain. No one on the lot seems to mulch or cover or anything, techniques here must really be different??? That is why I am surprised that no one else seems to have any weeds?
I would just like it to be more...geometrical. But it is one of my goals for the off season. We'll see.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cellarduck

• Good Luck
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 14:50:23 »
You must dig out the bindweed roots and keep on top of it.  I hate it.  If allowed to it chokes every plant you put near it.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 15:16:32 »
How about those sheds!

I assume that as next doors is the same that they are provided for you, as well as the butts.

How did you manage to persuade the council to pay for those?

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 15:43:43 »
Aha, here the allotments are run by a private association. We pay rent and the association gives a portion back to the council, who own the land. But they don't run the place. The butts are private though. But each shed belongs to the allotment, indeed. They are quite good, except mine leaks through the bottom of the door lol.
I pay 70 euros rent a year which i think is more than in the UK, about 50 pounds?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 16:03:15 »
Afraid that it's not so pretty as a picture as most lotties but hopefully the veg tastiness will make up for it

Of course it will!!

in a couple you can see the old folks' gardens behind, with neat rows

Something to keep in mind;

The plants don't know they are in straight rows {so far as I know ;)}

In my opinion being weed free is more important than regimentation

I think your plot looks quite neat!  Garlic is a bit young yet but those goosegogs look very tasty indeed!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 16:05:43 »
I think it's brilliant, antipodes, considering when you started, you've put in loads of hard work and I hope you get loads of veggies, that'll get rid of the smirks  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 16:23:36 »
I would NOT say that is messy- you should see mine!

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 18:52:03 »
I would be thrilled if that was my plot, it looks great and so much established stuff on there!

I shall take some of mine this week and make you feel proud! Love the sheds and who care about striaght lines!
BG
x

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 19:32:13 »
I have been drilling seeds all weekend, as the rain makes the clay workable, and there isn't a straight line in there!
 :-[

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 20:34:27 »
Wish mine was that tidy when I started. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal