Author Topic: Don`t want to offend  (Read 3369 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Don`t want to offend
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 00:25:07 »
I've never had to ask to borrow, but luckily for me folks have offered to rotovate for me. ;) A new plotholder did ask to borrow my wheelbarrow recently- of course I said yes,(not in same league as power tools) but was slightly miffed to find it still on his plot days later. I shall have no qualms in saying not if he can't be bothered to return it next time he asks.
Smile, it confuses people.

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 15:00:19 »
small sign
please don't ask to borrow as a refusal often offends

or to quote the baird
Neither a borrower nor a lender be; / For loan oft loseth both itself and friend.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 15:26:51 »
My youngest son was funny. At the allotment new neighbours just took over the plot next to us and was moaning about digging their plot. My son says "We have a rotivator but you can't borrow it." I laughed!

Emmalm

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 14:52:41 »
I agree with others a polite refusal is the way to go. I think the important thing is to be consistant, if you lend to some on the lottie and not others that's more likely to cause offence than lending to no one.

I've had too much lost or broken in the past. Maybe I was a bit of a mug, but now I won't lend stuff outside family or very close friends. However I figure if I won't lend I shouldn't borrow things either.
Em x

Good Gourd2

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 17:42:07 »
Thanks everyone for your advice I get the  message, Just let it be known I don`t borrow or lend.  Cheers Good gourd.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal