Author Topic: Travel sick dogs  (Read 1636 times)

Rhonnanne

Travel sick dogs
« on: May 27, 2007, 12:10:45 »
??? HELP.......!

I have a 6 month old cocker spaniel who gets very travel sick every time he goes in the car.  He starts foaming at the mouth as soon as he gets in (pushed in should I say) and yaks within minuets (usually do not feed him before journey now).  We now have a travel crate which he loves..... but not when its in the car....!

Anyone have any ideas please as not had this problem before?

:'(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Travel sick dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 12:17:50 »
Yes, I have had this and the vet said it was fear rather then anything else. The advice we got was to adjust him very gradually.

We started by letting him sit in the car by himself but not going anywhere, he would fall asleep and relax. We did this over a ten day period till he was comfortable about that.

Then I sat in the car with him daily for about a week or so , a couple of times a day,and ran the engine for a little while,but we didn't move, then we got out, he accepted that.

Then we drove to the end of the street and back, and very gradually we extended the trips.

We had a special toy that he took, but only for the car and he got a very special edible treat when he got out.

He quite quickly connected the things in his head and after about three  months he wanted to go everywhere.

It took a while  but it really did work.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:20:09 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 16:46:52 »
Agree with Jeannine about letting the dog get used to vehicle slowly. When we moved from Sussex to the Fens Charlie had to have our lab in the lorry with him as I had a car load of children. Our vet did give us a tablet which was a mild sedative just to stop her jumping about. Might be an idea to ask your vet if you are going on a long journey. Sally was a year old bouncy lab.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 20:40:54 »
I should think there is a homeopathic remedy for travel sickness in pets. Homeopathy works well on pets. We had a dog with hay fever & it worked well on him.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal