Author Topic: *****pidgeons  (Read 4246 times)

Meg

• Acre
*****pidgeons
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:13:52 »
*****pidgeons  have nabbed my gooseberries. I swear I saw a flock of them all burping and licking their beaks says yum gooseberries. At the allotment near the church I see bushes laden down with fruit. Better get the prayer mat out for next year then :'(
Marigold

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: *****pidgeons
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 10:18:14 »
Meg I once called them more than *****!! When we lived in Sussex husband and I hand planted a quarter acre with cabbages, they were coming on so beautifully until we had a heavy snow fall. Every cabbage was stripped within a couple of hours.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:11:17 »
The bloomin things wait for us to leave the plot. We have to drive round in a big circle to get to the gate and we can see them when we get round the other side. We have everything under wire netting to keep them at bay. Them and magpies are real pests.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 13:59:37 »
Planted out some cabbages, netted them well and came back the next morning to find a pigeon caught in the cabbage cage, waiting to be rescued. They ate all my redcurrants two years ago, so the following year I covered the bushes with net curtains........so they went and ate the gooseberries!!!

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 14:02:12 »
I've suffered too Meg. >:( I had a lovely bed of swedes coming along, I was really thrilled with them. They were fine on Wednesday morning couldnt get down to the lottie again until Friday morning when I found 3/4 of the leaves stripped. :'(  That will teach me not to cover them.
Does anyone know if they will recover?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 15:07:12 »
Think of all those nice plump pidgeon breasts cooking along nicely in a pie. :P

Best thing for them and exactly what will happen to them if I manage to catch any.

They have destroyed one of my pea rows :-[
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Tiercel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 19:02:20 »
Think of all those nice plump pigeon breasts cooking along nicely in a pie. :P

Best thing for them and exactly what will happen to them if I manage to catch any.

They have destroyed one of my pea rows :-[

Better than a pie make a small cut in the breast and stuff home made garlic stuffing into the breast  breadcrumb the breast and shallow fry, making sure that the meat does not dry out. Then serve with a leek in cheese sauce. On a more serious note only do this to Woodpigeon do not do it to feral pigeons they carry more diseases than rats.
If it works, don't knock it!

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 14:47:12 »
The story about the pigeon in the net gives me an idea, why not construct a cunning net trap with nice seedlings as bait? I am sure that one of my raised beds could be used in this way. I have watched them in my garden rob bird tables no matter how difficult I made it for them..........those stuffed breasts sound delicious....!!!!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 18:37:38 »
right, we had adiscussion about this some time ago..my youngest son was told the pigeons in greece eat the rice thrown at weddings, the rice swells and they explode.. ??? ;D
don't know if you could stuff the breasts, though  ;D

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 20:26:41 »
Do pidgeons eat everything? They've had my peas/mangetout and beans. I have kept them off my cabbages but as a newbie not sure whether everything needs netting? For example, do sweetcorn/pumpkins/squash/leeks/tomatoes need protecting?
I thought it was the slugs and snails (I'm used to them!) but a neighbour said it was the pidgeons.

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 22:52:06 »
Visited Tatton Park yesterday and had a few wonderful drooling hours around the walled vegetable garden.

They too have row after row of decimated brassicas.

And mares tail.

Sand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal