Author Topic: Have You Ever  (Read 1794 times)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Have You Ever
« on: May 25, 2007, 22:49:18 »
I have never before in my 20 odd years of having a lottie seen a Robin catch a cabbage white butterfly.

I have my brassica's covered and the ends netted.  The cabbage white was being a cabbage white and it rested on the netting, as quick as a flash this Robin that had been hopping about trying to catch it from the top went to the side and just grabbed it and flew off with it.

Has anyone else seen a Robin catch a cabbage white?  I wish I'd had my camera with me.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Have You Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 23:34:07 »
What a wonderful sight that must have been. Just think of all the caterpillars that WON'T be crawling this summer thanks to your little Robin  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 17:05:57 »
no, I bet you cheered him on..
I remember seeing a wasp eating a cabbage white caterpillar..I don't get on wth wasps but at least they leave brassicas alone  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 18:25:33 »
Was it eating it or carrying it off? It's the wasp larvae which are carnivorous. Adults are nasty murderous things; I've watched them grab bees, bite the wings and legs off, and fly off with the entire carcass, which was bigger than the wasp. But they don't normally eat them themselves.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 18:57:09 »
I'd like to adopt your robin, Sinbad  there's lots on out plots to keep it busy   ;D
robert, it seemed to be ripping it up, it was a few years ago
, before we learned to net the brassicas  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 20:23:26 »
If the caterpillar was too big to carry it may well have ripped it in half. They have a horrible habit of biting bees in half at the waist, and flying off with the abdomen while the front half is still wandering about wondering what's happened.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 22:06:41 »
Hi Robert,

He flew off with it but he had it securely in his beak.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 22:46:21 »
One of my cats ate a robin this morning  :'(
The Tuscan Beaneater

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 06:27:59 »
 :'( :'(  My cat scarer at home seems to eat batteries and I found pigeon feathers all over the garden on Friday.  Batteries back on charge again.

I saw a mummy/daddy robin feeding baby in the doorway of the shed at the lottie yesterday.   ;D ;D ;D

When I went home to pick the OH up, baby robin was flapping wildly at the shed window from inside (I must have scared him  :-\), so I left the door open while I was away.  I like robins.   ;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal