Author Topic: OK I know I am dumb on the computer...help  (Read 3786 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
OK I know I am dumb on the computer...help
« on: May 25, 2007, 23:51:34 »
Please presume I know nothing.

I need help on three things.

1. How do I get a thingy so that I can  type to someone live and chat.MSN rings a bell. How do I get what it is whatever it is called.

2. What is a blog and what does it do and can I get one of those too.

3. Can I start my own website and how do I do it.

Oh yes and what is the differnce between a blog and a website.

Remember I am dumb

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Re: OK I know I am dumb on the computer...help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 18:00:17 »
cannot help you with 1.

Re 2,  a blog is simply a way to make your thoughts available on the web. The structure takes the form of a diary (in the sense that each entry is dated) but what you enter is totally up to you. It can be diary(ish), e.g. I did this and that on the plot today or it can just consist of individual pieces on different topics. It is up to you.

Wikipedia, the collaborative free encyclopedia contains some useful background material here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

As an example, here is a link below to Jane Perrone's blog (on allotments). She works for The Guardian and has recently had a book on allotments published. You will also see links to other people's blogs on her blog .. so you can get a good idea of how blogs are used for allotments/gardening.

http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/

There are a number of sites that allow you to set up your own blogging space for free, the most renowned being http://www.blogger.com. You can pay for a more professional service which allows multi-media among other things, eg http://www.typepad.com.

Here is a review of blogging services .. I am sure that there are others around

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6028_7-6040346.html

So you can blog without having your own web site.  If you have your own web site then you can put what you want on it, eg articles on squashes, tomatoes, etc as well as your blog. However, you will need software to construct the content for your web site.  Enough people on this forum have their own web pages for you to get a good idea what people use them for. So, click on a few.

What is the difference between a blog and a web site? .. at the end of the day it's rather in the eye of the beholder frankly - some people can get fired up on such topics - but ultimately they both hold content (stuff). It really depends what you want to use either (or both) for?!

Re getting your own web site the first port of call is to check with your Internet Provider to see if your contract entitles you to any space on their servers to hold your own web pages. My contract provides me with 50MB of space (a reasonable amount for what I do). If they do not then the next step is to get a quote from them for hosting your web site. There are other organisations who will offer to host your web site but I would do the above for starters.

You can find info on the web re creating a web site. Here is an example from somebody who is looking to sell you something ...

http://www.2createawebsite.com/

If you are as inexperienced as you make out then perhaps the initial thing to do is to get a free blog account and play with that initially before deciding what route to take.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 18:34:31 »
Thank you Bak, that takes away a lot of the questionsXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 19:10:54 »
re 1 ...
 what you are referring to is often called a messenger service (computer techies please correct me if I am wrong)

As you pointed out, one such system is MSN messenger ... (google it) but there are many other providers too (They are free by the way). Once you have a system installed, you add 'contacts' using their email or other valid ID system, pertaining to the system. You can get all the background info you need by following suitable links using google, it will explain it all better than I can. There are other communication systems too, but they go over my head ...

hope this helps ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 21:41:21 »
If anyone is serious about a website, then I would recommend that they go for their own domain and rent space on a hosting server. The disadvantage of ISP webspace is that if you want to change ISP's then your address on the old ISP is no longer valid. It's like publishing your address as a pitch on a campsite.

If you must use an ISP space, get your own domain and then forward it to the ISP space, if you then want to change ISP's, it's then a simple matter of re-forwarding it.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 22:30:39 »
As Derek says - Messenger.
I use it to talk to my son in the Excited States.
It's free - buy a Webcam - cheap.
Easy to install - Off you go!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 22:38:04 »
We use Skype, wiht headphones and webcam. It's great, and we cat with friends and relllies all over the world, either with voice and the camera or just typing messages. And it's quite cheap for phone calls, too.
The Tuscan Beaneater

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 22:49:57 »
As above - click onto MSN and follow the links for MESSENGER.

As for starting your blog: Click on the link below then click on GET STARTED. I wil expect to see your blog by tomorrow night then missus ;)

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/login.html?.done=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.360.yahoo.com%2F&.src=360
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 23:18:03 »
I use skype more than messenger....got a cheapo headset from azda and use it to play online and talk to my mates also.   No need to type with skype (wow i just made that slogan up  ;D)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 23:26:46 »
Well thanks to a very very patient poster I got Messenger going. Thank you .

The blog..up and running bit tomorrow night...in your dreams KT, but I will check it out when I get over the other one..Wow, it was never like this when I learned to write..with a slate of course.

Thank you all XX Jeannine

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 23:35:21 »
I agree, technology is good fun. Cannot get on with mobile phones though ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 00:01:27 »
A quick warning about instant messaging, they're anything but instant and can waste an inordinate amount of time specially if you are communicating with a one finger typist.

Blogs make it possible for people to get their message out to the world without needing to know anything technical about coding or Internet protocols but tend to limit the available functionality. There is no true distinction between blogs and websites though and a well laid out blog could be considered a website just as a proper website could also double as a diary or soapbox. A properly hosted website though will normally offer far more such as databases and server-side scripting facilities.

Websites can be run from your own computer at home with great success but a lot of configuring is required and the computer has to stay on 24 hrs a day and is not worth the hastle for routine sites now that commercial hosting is so cheap.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:59:30 »
Websites can be run from your own computer at home with great success but a lot of configuring is required and the computer has to stay on 24 hrs a day and is not worth the hastle for routine sites now that commercial hosting is so cheap.

I agree with the latter part of this statement. I rent webspace for £4.99 per month and have three domains on it. Running your own computer for 24/7 is very probably more expensive and is certainly not "green".

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 12:24:39 »
jeannine i think that was a very good question but i think peeps who are familier with computers do not realize what a struggle we have getting our heads around
all the terms used. i have messenger but do not use it much they affer all kinds of services much of which goes straight over my head as most things do :D
i too fancy this blog thing and skipe i even have a webcam, still in it,s box not brave enough yet :'( still isn,t there a saying about it,s not the destination but the journey that counts and oh what joy when something gets through  :o
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 12:37:25 »
Well KT. you did it and had me up and running as you said, now I jus have to figure what I am going to put on it .

Marg, I think the reason it is so hard for us to understand as because usually when we ask for help most people are willing to give it but presume we are further along than we are,so immediately we are in trouble cos we don't even understand the first point.

When they say, first go to....and do ...... then..... and then I can show you what to do next,but of course I haven't a clue what the first thing is!!!!

Windygale was so patient with me to help with the messenger thing and KT was anngel with the blog thing. They both took me carefully through it.

Well done to both of you for 'educating Great Grandma'

Not to worry Marg, me and you are both really good at some things and that is what counts, the rest we will get eventually. I am great on e Bay!!!

XX Jeannine

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 21:56:41 »
Trust me, you questions are easy in comparison to ones i get asked at work.  Most of the users i support are visually disabled. Some completely blind and with missing limbs, and they control the computer completely by dictation alone. Very impressive.

Nobody should feel embarrassed about asking.. It's the best way to learn.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 21:59:08 by Simba42 »

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 23:19:19 »
I have run a computer group for nearly 19 years (in October), early this year a cycling friend decided he wanted to buy a computer. He asked me to advise him. I scouted around to see what was available locally, found the best deal at PC World. I took him there in my car, the salesman came over and George said "I want to buy a computer and have brought Mr Rowell as my advisor". The salesman didn't even try to sell him an extended warranty.

George has made very good progress due to high telephone traffic between us. He is 77 years old (a year younger than I am). I have also spent several days at his house instructing him. No one has been more surprised than I at the progress he has made (I have known him for 50 years).

bluebedouin

• Quarter Acre
    • The Friendliest Auction Site On Earth !
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 03:18:09 »
I am great on e Bay!!!

XX Jeannine
How about eBid,have you tried that yet?
Just click my signature pic below to view my store.If there's nothing there for you,click the union flag button ( top left) or just click here to go straight to the front page.
If you like what you see & would like to join,please click the red link below.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 21:22:09 »
I use MSN messenger to chat to friends all over the world (altho not that often)......also have a head-set so we can talk between ourselves...always good to put a voice to a name....only problem I find with messenger is that you don't get a copy of anything you've talked about with your 'friend or family member'.....so if something's been said that you want to particularly remember or keep a note of....you can't - you need to email for that info so you can keep it.....unless anyone's can tell me different.

I mostly have mine switched to 'appear off-line' tho otherwise you get 'pounced on' when you're busy doing other things and not got time to 'chat'

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 23:52:44 »
Check whether you have 'My Chats' in My Documents. All my MSN convos are saved there.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal