Author Topic: Onion Rot  (Read 5977 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Onion Rot
« on: May 25, 2007, 21:51:40 »
Absolutely gutted - over wintering onion and garlic bed affected. So that area is now out of bounds for alliums for years. The soil is quite heavy and was quite wet for a while in the winter, but I was so looking forward to harvesting them, esp as last year we had wonderful onions.
The only good thing to come out of it all, is that I need the space for the brassicas which will get some lime. Apparently oinon rot doesn't like lime - is there anything else it doesn't like?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Onion Rot
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 05:11:03 »
Do you mean white rot?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:07:49 »
These onions were fine a few weeks ago. I think it may be eel worm according to the book. If anyone else has any ideas I would be gratefull. These have been grown on a new plot that hasn't been used for years
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:52:24 »
I probably do mean white rot,Tim. Anyway, what ever rot it is, it has rotted alot of the garlic - it just came away in my hands when I pulled them up. Some of the onions seem OK at the moment, but will start harvesting them anyway.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 13:28:27 »
That's nasty, Shirlton. something nasty could have been sprayed/put in/on the ground before you took it over.
The Tuscan Beaneater

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 17:25:50 »
oh that's white rot...i have it too...my onions are ok though but my garlic is a waste again this year. i'm not even going to try it again next year... i think white rot is the worst disease...
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 17:39:03 »
Been to the plot today and looked at everyones onions and they all have it, even the old hands. Talking to one old fella and he reckons it's all over Brum. Somehow I don't feel so bad now. Still open to ways to stop the problem though. Surely some of you old codgers can come up with the solution LOL
                             I want em saying

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 18:22:29 »
My spring-planted onions may not be much, but I've never seen anything like those! It's certainly not 'all over' my site.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 18:35:57 »
Well Robert , according to my contacts it's in Sutton, Erdington, The Barn allotments.Witton. I just want to know how to stop the bloomin thing whatever it is
                             I want em saying

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 20:19:35 »
Unfortunately there is no cure for White Rot once its in your soil it can be there for up to 15 years. 
The only possible alternative is to import soil/compost and grow them in things like fish boxes.  Thats all i can suggest
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 20:21:06 »
Have you lifted any of those distorted onions to see what's below?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 21:07:41 »
Could the distorted leaves, dying back from the tips, be thrips?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 21:25:36 »
Shirlton, Did you put fresh manure on your onion bed before  planting if so you may just have drooping leave Do as Robert suggest and pull one or two to check. You will certainly know if it is white rot

DAVY

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 09:25:45 »
 Well Davy I just hope that it is the manure. Everyone knows I only took the plot in Oct last year and also my muck heap. Well rotted is hard to get hold of so I guess that some of it was pretty fresh stuff. I spread it quite thickly all over the plot except where I was gonna put the roots.We will see next year when I use the same muck when it's matured. I'm gonna pull one up and have a look and see if there is anything visible. Thanks for your advice
                             I want em saying

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 16:46:31 »
I have had a good look at the picture and the more I look the more confused I get ???

I am not so sure about 'White rot' but I wouldn't count it out.

If it is white rot the onions look OK until you lift them then if you press the base plate you will find a smelly gooey sludge which goes right to the centre of the bulb.

To discuss your picture; the onion next to the tuft of grass (bottom front) looks like it is suffering from 'Mildew.

The one immediately above it looks more like a shallot suggesting it has  been got at possibly by Onion fly.

If it is 'fly' you should find maggots eating away at it just below soil level.

Did you plant setts or seed?

If you are lifting one could you take a picture of it cut top to bottom (not across) this way we will be able to see the base plate and leaf growth in detail.

Sorry I can't be of more help lets keep an open mind until we have a cross sectional picture!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 17:49:12 »
As well advised - look & see?

If it looks anything like this, don't let it touch ANYTHING else - & STERILISE your tools. The stem is not necessarily black.

BUT, I does not look typical of white rot to me.

More pictures here - www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/prm7744
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 17:55:58 by tim »

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 19:17:46 »
Well Davy I just hope that it is the manure. Everyone knows I only took the plot in Oct last year and also my muck heap. Well rotted is hard to get hold of so I guess that some of it was pretty fresh stuff. I spread it quite thickly all over the plot except where I was gonna put the roots.We will see next year when I use the same muck when it's matured. I'm gonna pull one up and have a look and see if there is anything visible. Thanks for your advice

The reason i asked, if you put fresh manure in you may be lucky and only have leaf droop which means they may be OK with a high nitrogen feed, but i like the rest wait in anticipation for a photo hoping its not white rot

DAVY

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 19:52:27 »
Tim, what is the best way to sterilise all my tools? I had visions of having a different set for each lottie.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 12:12:22 »
Hello Shirlton - those onions look just like mine - my shallots  are the same. I'm also in the W Midlands and have heard that this is becoming a real problem. I don't think it's white rot, some other problem, but I wish I knew what is was and how to cure it. I will really miss the onions and shallots. Does any one know the problem? Also should I just dig them up and dispose  of them or do they stand any chance of recovery

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 14:57:43 »
Does any one know the problem?

From the picture and description given I don't know!!
Still awaiting a picture of a cross section of an affected onion, and for that matter a garlic as well!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal