Author Topic: My 'new found' beds ... I have a grass matting  (Read 1524 times)

cocopops

• Acre
My 'new found' beds ... I have a grass matting
« on: May 23, 2007, 20:52:31 »
I have spent the last two days clearing a big (didn't seem that big when I started), flower bed that was blocking the view of the garden.  Last year we cut down loads of huge plants there , but never got round to the base.    It seems that the more I cut back the more moss and (mainly) grass I find.  The whole top of the soil appears to be roots.  I would love it to be in flower this year but I would not know how to plant into the tough soil. 

I have a great advice for my veg patch so any of your help with this one would be appreciated.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: My 'new found' beds ... I have a grass matting
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 23:10:46 »
What were the plants you cut down? What you're finding sounds like a mass of couch grass. If it is, every trace needs to be dug out. Once that's done, plant whatever you want. You'll probably have taken out a lot of topsoil with the roots, so don't throw it away. Pile it up, cover it with black plastic, and leave it a year or so to rot down. Then put it back.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 00:30:03 »
HI

I the mean time CHEAT get some posts and plant them up and when your not digging and clearing cover with the pots :-) so you get your flowers this year!

Cambourne7

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 21:02:43 »
The beds were really over-run with huge hydrangeas and lavender trees. The last owners where not the energetic type, hey-ho.

We cut them back last year, now it is mainly the runners from these.  The cover was so dense that there is a huge amount of moss.  It is really hard to explain but the bed is on the rise to the main lawn.  I have spent three days clearing the area, and needless to say my shoulders and hands are really sore.  The grass is matted and I have managed to get most of the roots.

I think I may take Cambourne's advice and plant in pots.  I am struggling to see what is a plant and what is a weed,  so just pulling almost everything.

Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal