Author Topic: SEAGULLS  (Read 1421 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
SEAGULLS
« on: May 28, 2007, 20:29:27 »
Please someone tell me WHY are Seagulls NOT classed as vermin when Magpies, Pigeons and Squirrels are.
I loathe these birds with a passion. When they have their young every year we have to suffer them dive bombing us and being scared to go outside.
Not to mention the mess they deposit all year round.
My neighbour was attacked and now carries an umbrella when she goes out.
When they nested at the school and dive bombed the kids, they were destroyed. When we asked for the same treatment, we were told it's only natural that they should bomb us as they were protecting their young.
I live in a seaside resort and more and more people feed these d**n birds, which in turn makes them more daring and vicious  >:(
They think it's cute to feed them. Visitors leave after two weeks, we have to then suffer them for the rest of the year.
Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: SEAGULLS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:54:38 »
Coming from a seaside town I would have to agree with you. It is not safe to eat a bag of chips on the seafront as the gulls will swoop on you. Not too bad for an adult, but the kids have had chips taken out of their hands from the hungry gulls.

Not sure that I would want them destroyed, just ask the tourists to be more responsible.

When we first moved down with our cats, who could quite happily take down the London pidgeons with minimal effort, they tried it on with the local gulls. Never seen the cats back down from a fight until then. Some of the gulls were nearly twice their size, and the cats weren't small.

Having said that, an adult gull got trapped in nextdoors basement space for a few days over the weekend. The flapping and cries were pitiful and it became apparent that nextdoor weren't going to do anything about it, so Rob got out the ladder and pulled it out. It wasn't exactly grateful... but what do expect, it was terrified. Unfortunately in its bid to get away, it got clipped by a car ::), but managed to fly away.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 13:03:38 »
The problem is...The gulls use to follow the trawlers and were happily fed. Now there are hardly any trawlers so they have gone inland and scavenge. I didn't mean kill them all but maybe take the numbers down to half. Just give us all some peace and a chance to sit and walk outside without the fear of being dive bombed.
Lauren  :'(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 22:03:08 »
O know the problem! I don't think it's just lack of trawlers, it's also the wretched human habit of dropping edible litter. On top of that, they get quite defensive around their nests, which isn't very helpful when said nest is on someone's roof.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 22:57:36 »
Elle Ess Crikey, I am not so sure I want to go on holiday next week now ;D Seriously, must be really scary for children, better keep an eye on our 5 and 7year old girls.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 16:00:13 »
Yes, watch them especially when they have treats or an icecream in hand  ::)
I saw a seagull snatch an icecream from a chap once when I was in St Ives. It stuck sideways in the Gulls throat. I wonder if it choked
Lauren  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal