Author Topic: new allotment  (Read 1583 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
new allotment
« on: May 20, 2007, 16:15:19 »
Finally got an allotment after two long years wait,subject to signing the agreement.looks like a really well looked after site most of the plots look fantastic everything possible seems ot be grown.
my plot looks in good condition but is overgrown with grass . i thought i should cut the grass before digging it over.i read the message board just now re the rotovator and see it might not be such a good idea.
should i cut the grass or would it make no difference.?

i have been growing various veg in pots and in my greenhouse and the beetroots look really healthy but when i re potted them into larger pots there ddn't seem to be much beetroot growthjust the leaves. am i doing something wrong.also could i just plant these into my new plot once i've dug it over ?

rob

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: new allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 16:30:36 »
Congratulations! Lucky you getting one just covered in grass: most of us have had to deal with bramble, nettle, rubbish (a wartime Morrison shelter on mine!) and goodness knows what else!

If you've got access to a strimmer, it might be an idea to take the top off. At least it'll look a bit tidier and you can see what you've got to deal with. The usual advice most folk give is to mark it into beds with canes & string, then deal with one bed at a time: strip off the top & stack or compost it, then dig, then plant; then move onto the next area.

And I think the answer to the beetroot query might be: a) that's normal, as the edible bit develops later; and b) yes you can plant them out; good way of growing beetroot.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 18:12:15 »
Welcome from me too, already you have some good advice, you will enjoy this site ,Good Luck XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 20:09:07 »
welcome from us an' all, hope you have a brilliant time, we marked out the paths, covered them with cardboard or black plastic and put wood chips over the top..then we knew where to walk and where not to
take pictures before and after and show us all how it goes  :)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:54:35 »
I've just got confirmation from the council so am going down there after work to lay claim and take first photos
I think i need to mow/strim first then mark out the borders so i know what i've got.
Oh got to get a trailer so i can carry all my gear down there and back up as no shed yet.

Rob

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 13:55:22 »
Tim what do you mean 'stack and compost it' . I was going to dig down a spades depth and turn it over a bit then stick some compost in do you think that is sufficient. ?
It appears like i might have a good site as only grass has grown over it.

Rob

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 13:56:56 »
Sorry trevor not tim and didn't even read it properly stack OR compost, so putting the compost on after digging should work

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 16:17:28 »
Good luck with it. 

The initial hard work really pays off.
The Tuscan Beaneater

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 16:23:25 »
Tim what do you mean 'stack and compost it' .
Rob

I think it means to take the grass off in turves and stack it upside down to rot down. Comost it to me means bung it in your compost heap. As newbie plot holder I have a builders bag that sand and stuff comes in and I'm bunging everything in there till i work out where i want everything.   8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 16:32:38 »
Welcome aboard!

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 19:34:08 »
yes welcome aboard and here is to lush organic (ish) crops we have a getting started guide if interested www.lottieblogs.co.uk/gs.aspx hope it can help

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 19:56:43 »
Sorry - doing shorthand again.

Take off the top layer (If in doubt, watch Time Team, and you'll see how it's done.) If you're only dealing with a small amount, bung it on the compost heap; if it's a football field then stack them (number 1 sunny side up, number 2 sunny side down, etc). The will eventually rot down into a beautiful loam.

And to be confused with Tim, I can only feel flattered. He's the real expert - the rest of us are only groping around in the dark.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 08:43:55 »
Hi, welcome from me! We took on a plot that was VERY overgrown with weeds and brambles. We strimmed it straight away just to see what we had then dug a bed at a time lifting the turf and stacking it to rot down as others have mentioned on here. The beds we created can now be used and the soil from the turves will gradually be put back over the next few years or so.

Good luck with your plot, take LOADS of pics, it's amazing how quickly it changes and it boosts your confidence to look back at how much you've improved it.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 12:57:50 »
I've never bothered which way up it was; annual grasses would die if placed upside-down, but not couch! If there's a lot, just pile it up and cover it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal