Author Topic: hands  (Read 3136 times)

debster

• Hectare
hands
« on: May 23, 2007, 15:35:45 »
this is possibly a very strange topic but any recommendations on how to get your hands really clean again after gardening there are some jobs I find impossible with gloves on. the problem is I am a nurse and it doesnt look too professional with half an acre of compost under my nails etc. btw as a nurse gardening in a hospital means a totally different thing so couldnt tell staff ive been gardening which is why my hands are dirty ha ha  ;D

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: hands
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 15:40:44 »
I had a friend who used to say that the elderly patients had 'been gardening'....yuk! (anyone who doesn't know must wonder what I'm talking about!) Washing up liquid with either salt or sugar mixed into it is quite good as a scrub to clean the hands after gardening. The other old trick is to scrape soap under the nails BEFORE gardening so soil can'rt get under them, I've only tried a few times but forget most of the time!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 15:48:26 »
Put on a barrier cream prior to commencing the gardening chores!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 16:05:13 »
I always keep my nails short but even then i find it difficult to clean my hands.

I find that before i have a shower i rub some exfoliating body scrub into my hands and that tends to work.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 16:36:45 »
Showa do a glove which is fine enough for most jobs and there is a gardeners pumice scrub available... ? Crabtree and Evelyn?

:)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 19:57:32 »
excellent never thought of exfoliating body scrub thats brilliant glosterwomble that is exactly what i was talking about. thanks guys will give it a go

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 20:01:25 »
If you haven't got an exfoliating scrub, just add half teaspoon sugar to any handwash!

Kathi
Kathi :-)

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 20:20:48 »
Debster, I know exactly what you mean.

I'm a nurse too and find that the two 'occupations' don't really go hand-in-hand (sorry about the pun).

I can easily wash my hands over a hundred times in one day at work and don't have time to apply hand cream much at all, so my hands get very very dry.  This causes grooves where the gardening dirt gets in, no matter which gloves I wear or how much I scrub afterwards.  Really does look unsightly when dealing with patients close up.  I do try to explain though. 

My best product is from Avon Skin So Soft, 'Warming Hand Buffer'.  It's a cleansing scrub that leaves my hands reasonably soft and sweet smelling - for a while!  Trouble is, I can't go out into the garden for the washing or with the dog without getting dirty again.

Could be worse, I could be a manucurist!

Sand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 20:23:17 »
I peeled 20 pound of peaches last week and my hands were cleaner than I had seen them in along time!!! Maybe the acid?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 09:17:46 »
Oh I have this problem too! It's embarrassing because on Mondays (after weekend gardening) I have piano lessons so I am sure that my teacher must think that I am a grub! I find it stains the sides of my index fingers.
I scrub under my nails with a brush and Marseille soap (like Sunlight type soap), but I have to keep my nails extremely short anyway (piano + working on a computer!) and for the hands, in places where the skin is, as you say, a bit cracked, I fill the sink with hot water, soak the hands then gently rub a pumice stone in the dirty places, with a bit of soap added. It's a bit drastic I know. Afterwards I use Neutrogena hand cream, the really think Norwegian formula stuff.
You could also soak your nails in some dilute peroxide too, which brightens them.
Another thing that is good as a scrub is rolled oats (yep, the porridge stuff), mixed with a bit of honey. Rub it in really well for as long as you feel necessary (you can use to on your face too). I find it to be better than anything commercially made, it's cheap and make the skin really soft.
I find that there are lots of things that you can't do with gloves on in the garden, like pulling up bindweed seedlings and other tiny weeds, picking strawberries and I admit that I like to plant things with my bare hands, to get them in the earth, it gives off a good energy!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 10:06:43 »
Same problem, I find it is the skin on the sides of my index fingers that seem to suffer most from the 'ground in dirt' look!  ::)

I use my daughters 'Swiss formula' peach face scrub to clean, and use the Body Shop's Hemp hand cream for extra dry skin before going to bed every night...that has helped a lot! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 10:15:27 »
I like the barrier cream idea.

Kneading bread dough (or pastry) also works ... :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 10:19:58 »
I like the barrier cream idea.

Kneading bread dough (or pastry) also works ... :)

Oh yuck!!!! As long as you don't have to eat it afterwards! What the eye doesn't see......... ;D ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Si

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 10:34:22 »
How about a swim afterwards?

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 11:29:48 »
Give your hair a good soaping- works a treat!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 12:44:09 »
Hand wash woolens?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 20:14:33 »
The best thing I have found is to cut a lemon in half and just keep rubbing.  It really does work and you can use it until it dries out.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 20:25:50 »
I peeled 20 pound of peaches last week and my hands were cleaner than I had seen them in along time!!! Maybe the acid?

Can i be nosey and ask why ? I love peaches  :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 21:21:47 »
What dont kill ya makes ya stronger!

Only time i've had clean hands since feb is when i had ten days off yomping around the moors! Then all i wanted to do is get them dirty again!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 21:50:25 »
Peaches...I happened to be on a market as they were closing and got the lot for £2.

Neutrogena is the best thing I have found for split fingers, loads at night with white gloves on and it will fix anything in a week. Promise it is wonderful stuff
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal